Weld Engineering Manager Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Louisville, KY 40214-2600, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is looking for a Weld Engineering Manager to lead a team of weld engineers, weld techs and a weld training manager at our site in Louisville, Kentucky, where we support naval weapon production.
The Weld Engineering Manager:
- Leads the Weld Manufacturing Engineering group which supports all programs at the Louisville site.
- Manages assignments and tasks for team to support internal and external customers including Senior Manufacturing Engineer, Site Operations Director, Program Management, Value Stream Managers, Electric Boat, DCMA, and NAVSEA.
- Provides engineering support for welding operations in manufacture of weapon systems including submarine missile tubes and major caliber naval guns.
- Develops concepts, designs, performance, fabrication, test and modifications for these products.
- Identifies weld equipment needs and pursues capital expenditure for implementation.
- Prepares and conducts weld engineering analysis of materials and procedures, leads weld procedure and performance qualifications efforts.
- Utilizes knowledge of metallurgy, material weldability, welding robotics, and associated programming.
- Reviews supplier capability and suitability to provide acceptable product and comply with government specifications.
- Develops or contributes to the creation of welding standards and specifications.
- Develops work documentation including routings and work instructions to guide weld workforce how to perform welding tasks.
- Develops special weld repairs as necessary.
- Implements overall weld program including management and control of standard policies and procedures.
- Reports status of projects on a regular basis to management staff.
This position will report directly to the Senior Manufacturing Engineering Manager. Here is a video that shows the work we do in Platforms & Services.Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- High school diploma and a minimum 12 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expert knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures of Weld Engineering.
- Management experience.
- Understanding of equipment and technologies relevant to Welding and Weld Engineering.
- Ability to solve complex technical problems that require a professional level of Weld Engineering knowledge.
- Working knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of a relevant technical field of specialization.
- Familiarity with current computer applications and technologies in applicable engineering disciplines.
- Ability to solve moderately complex technical design and development problems that require a professional level of engineering knowledge.
- Experience with root cause and corrective action problem solving.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with customers to solve moderately complex technical problems.
- Ability to lead a team of engineers and juggle multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to develop and present technical information to all levels of management and customers.
- Familiarity with weld procedure and performance qualification to NAVSEA S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248 or similar.
- Familiarity with NDT procedure qualification to T9074-AS-GIB-010/271 or similar.
- Well-spoken and ability to have excellent working relationships with direct reports and all internal and external customers.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- B.S. degree in a relevant technical discipline plus 8 years relevant experience; or a M.S. degree in a relevant technical discipline plus 6 years relevant experience.
- Certification with AWS as a CWI or other relevant certification.
- Moderate knowledge of nondestructive testing scope and capabilities.
- Understanding and practice of Lean/6-sigma concepts as applied to manufacturing.
- Defense contractor experience.
- Microsoft Project and Power Point experience.
- ERP/MRP systems such as Oracle or Baan experience.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom