Training Specialist, Principal Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
The BAE Systems San Diego, CA site supporting Ship Repair is seeking a Principal level Training Specialist. In this role, the Training Specialist will identify training and developmental needs, driving suitable training initiatives. Working across departments, functions and outside organizations, the Training Specialist will develop training programs to enhance employee skills, performance, productivity, and quality of work.
- Managing, designing, developing, coordinating and conducting training programs;
- Researching and analyzing various publications and documents in order to obtain necessary information for preparation of training session curriculum and lesson guides;
- Developing training session plans, lesson guides and training aids;
- Writing training manuals;
- Preparing instructional guides, examinations, troubleshooting techniques, and other training session support materials;
- Developing training goals, objectives and requirements and establishing participant qualification requirements;
- Identifying and developing solutions to training problem areas;
- Leading and conducting participants in the specific subject area utilizing training techniques (i.e. lectures, role playing exercises, individual coaching, demonstrations, workshops, etc.);
- Evaluating effectiveness of the programs and employee progress;
- Recommending changes in methods and procedures;
- Writing, directing, and producing recorded productions used in training and other special projects;
- As needed, preparing proposals for bidding on projects which may involve training;
- Analyzing contract requirements and developing work statements and cost estimates for the proposal;
- Ensuring that all assigned projects adhere to accepted professional standards and applicable quality assurance requirements.
Required Skills and Education Required Skills:
- Strong command of the English language (NOTE: English / Spanish bi-lingual a plus!) in order to effectively disseminate information and provide training;
- Highly proficient written skills, particularly to write manuals and training guides;
- Superior people-to-people interaction abilities, particularly when working with others in a classroom setting;
- Welding experience and/or a solid understanding of welding required in order to train in the subject;
- Basic computer literacy, particularly in the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint);
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task projects.
Typical Education and Experience Required:
- 10+ years related experience with High School diploma, GED, or the equivalent, or 8+ years related experience with Associates degree, or 6+ years related experience with Bachelors degree, or 4+ years related experience with Masters degree, or 2+ years related experience with PhD
- Certified Trainer
Preferred Skills and Education
Preferred Skills but not Required:
- Bi-Lingual proficiency in English/Spanish;
- Certified Professional in Training Management (CPTM);
- Experience in Ship Repair and/or a DoD manufacturing environment.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom