Temp Services Improver Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Job Description BAE Systems in San Diego is seeking A Temp Services Improver that assists with the removal, repair, & installs, of Air Hoses and Manifolds, Elect Power Cable & Transformers, Exhaust & Supply Ventilation.
- Run lines and leads required to accomplish work. Accomplish drop test if using flammable or oxygen depleting gases.
- Notify the Supervisor or Journeyperson of unusual conditions.
- Remove damaged Temp Services as directed by the Improver, Journeyperson, or Supervisor.
- Assist with measuring and templating pipe.
- Assist with Lock-out Tag-out requirements.
- Confer with Journeyman or Supervisor about Tag Out before commencing work.
- Running Fire Hoses and Fire Tree water Thief’s.
- Arrive at the designated work site at the assigned time and end the shift as directed by the schedule and Temp Service supervisor.
- Work shifts and overtime as assigned.
- Be accountable for completion of daily work assignments.
- Comply with OSHA standards and BAE best safety practices.
- Keep your work area clean and safe at all times, especially at the end of the shift.
- Ensure the work site is ready and clear of all Hazards before commencing work.
- Comply with the Company’s “Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy” which expects that all relationships among persons in the workplace will be businesslike and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
- Confer with the Supervisor, Improver, and Journeyman to resolve unexpected events related to your assigned task. Carry out written or oral instructions.
- The working environment in the shipyard varies from a normal office conditions to working outside where precipitation, wind, extreme cold, and extreme heat and high humidity are not unusual.
- When working inside of vessels the environment may be smoky, hot or cold, and have low levels of illumination may be present.
- There are heavy equipment and power tools operating almost at every location.
- Depending on the type of work available, reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job requirements.
- Personnel can expect to work in a variety of spaces from confined areas accessible only by manholes to high platforms accessible only by scaffolding or ladders.
- Work may also be accomplished using mechanical lifts as working platforms.
- The noise level in the shipyard environment is usually loud, especially inside of vessels.
- The noise encountered in the shop is generally low to moderate.
- The wearing of appropriate personal protective equipment is mandatory.
- There is always the potential of falling objects and personnel are occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts during work. Appropriate PPE must always be worn.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- High school diploma and 1 year of experience in a similar role OR Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to withstand the physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Must be able to tour all vessels, piers, docks and work sites.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear.
SPECIFIC PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- May be required to demonstrate any or all requirements.
- Lift/push/pull 50 lbs to 75 lbs on an occasional basis (0-25% of the day).
- Lift/push/pull up to 20 lbs on a frequent basis (25-75% of the day).
- Perform prolonged standing (2-3 hours). Bend, squat crouch, crawl and kneel.
- Climb in a safe manner (climbing, includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders and ramps).
- Work at a variety of levels and positions (ex. Waist, eye, above head). 6. Good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
- Sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
- Access work areas through 18” x 36” openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time (33-66% of the day).
- Respond to visual, verbal, and audible sounds/commands.
- Work at heights above 12’ from ladders, scaffolding, and Aerial lifts.
- Fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down.
- Perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
- Turn head from side to side and about on the vertical axis. Turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Knowledge or Experience within a shipyard environmentAbout BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom