Systems Engineering Intern Spring 2021 Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Sterling Heights, MI 48312, US
Engineering & Technology
How does it feel to work on a team driven to make a big impact? Empowering. We believe your career should always be growing. And that’s exactly what it will do at BAE Systems. You'll hit the ground running with a company truly committed to your growth as you enjoy a special camaraderie on a team dedicated to protecting what really matters. Build your future at BAE Systems.
As an intern you will participate in our nationwide Internship & Co-Op Program, LEAP, where you will have the opportunity to Learn, Engage, Apply, and Progress within the company. You will also have access to additional benefits such as, networking with BAE Systems employees and other students, participating in exciting real world projects, joining exclusive informational sessions with senior leaders, and expanding mentorship opportunities and career development.
This Internship is for Spring semester: January-April, 2021.
Note: Acceptable work locations include: Sterling Heights, MI (preferred) and Phoenix, AZ.
As a Systems Engineering Intern, you will:
Work in multi-disciplinary team environment performing systems engineering tasks for military vehicle development programs. Responsibilities include aiding requirements development, Size, Weight, Power, Cooling and Cost (SWaP-CC) management, risk assessments, and trade study documentation.
- Support technical specification development, at component, subsystem, and system levels, by analyzing and interpreting product performance specifications to ensure appropriate requirement flow down, allocation, and traceability.
- Aid in Size, Weight, Power, Cooling and Cost (SWaP-CC) analysis for vehicle platforms
- Interpret specifications, technical documentation, and/or test deliverables to evaluate requirement conformity.
- Work with Integrated Product Teams to understand and document requirements compliance, verification, and validation throughout the products life cycle.
- Assist in the definition, documentation, and management of interfaces between assigned sub-system and components (thermal, signal, data, etc.).
- Support trade studies to drive design decisions and document trade study results.
- Complete work assignments in a thorough, consistent, and punctual manner
- Adhere to company work hours, policies, procedures, and rules governing professional staff behavior
- Adhere to company and professional ethics governing the handling of confidential information and the observation of confidentiality.
Required Skills and Education Required Education:
Currently enrolled in an accredited college/university pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering, or other closely related field of study.
- Have knowledge necessary to write and assess requirement validity
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary team environment
- Systems thinking skills (i.e., ability to work at detailed level but understand system level implications)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel
Preferred Skills and Education Preferred Education:
Currently enrolled in an accredited college/university pursuing a Master’s degree in Systems Engineering, or other closely related field of study.
- Previous internship with defense or automotive industry
- Familiarity with databases, such as DOORS or Microsoft Access
- Experience with military vehicle systems is preferred.
- Model based systems engineering experience, such as UML(Unified Modeling Language), SysML (System Modeling Language), Rational Harmony, Object-Oriented Systems Engineering Method (OOSEM) experience
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom