Supplier Quality Engineer - Mechanical Commodity - Remote Work in the Seattle Area Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Seattle, WA 98108-3812, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description You don’t see it, but it’s there. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F-35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you’ll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The World.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us.
We are looking for a Supplier Quality Engineer to implement tools and processes to ensure suppliers improve on current products with robust plans and deliver first time quality to BAE program customers. Additionally, this person will be responsible for qualifying new suppliers for the program. This position will report to the Mechanical Group Supplier Quality team with a focus on optical products. The person will also investigate, evaluate, and resolve supplier quality problems and conducting audits, analyzing defect trends, and leading continuous improvement projects. The Supplier Quality Engineer will conduct capability assessments that verify supplier qualifications, travel to assigned suppliers, perform onsite source inspections, and lead multiple projects to completion. You must be a self-starting problem solver who will utilize your analytical skills to find innovative solutions to quality-related issues. A strong desire and mindset to drive actions and projects to closure without being prompted is a must. Strong communication skills are required to ensure suppliers understand requirements and expectations, make progress reports and present findings. Ability to summarize briefing/findings at an executive leadership level.
Additionally you will:
- Utilize supplier Scorecards/metrics and analytical tools to quantify performance levels of individual suppliers and work with those suppliers to develop improvement plans to achieve 100% quality performance
- Evaluate and assess the impact of nonconforming product and suppliers’ corrective actions, including timely communication with the program team of both.
- Champion problem solving and root cause analysis activities with suppliers to eliminate recurrence of non‐conformances
- Perform Production Process Verifications (PPV's) at supplier locations and participate in PPAP review process and other aspects of APQP
- Perform and Evaluate First Article Inspections per the requirements of AS9102 as well as train suppliers to meet BAE Systems expectations
- Drive “Zero Defect” culture within the supply base
This is a remote position; however, the selected individual must live around the Seattle area to be able to travel to/visit suppliers in the area. Relocation to the Seattle area is not available.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or 4 years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- Work Experience with the manufacturing inspection and acceptance of mechanical parts from multiple different manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge of subtractive and additive manufacturing and materials
- Knowledge of processes and methods such as turning, milling, grinding, fabrication, polishing, CNC, Casting, Welding, and coating for various types of materials
- Ability to interpret drawing specifications and measurement data for components inclusive of mechanical tolerances, surface quality (scratch-dig), surface finish/flatness/profile, centration, etc.
- Ability to interpret drawing specifications and measurement data for complex assemblies, manufacturing and testing.
- Strong understanding of MIL STD, ANSI and ISO drawing standards
- Understanding of special processes per requirements, such as complex coatings, metallization, passivation, heat treatment, priming/painting and brazing
- Strong familiarity with mechanical and optical metrology, inspection tools, and gages
- Direct knowledge of Manufacturing processes and supply chain logistics from raw material to finished goods
- Effective communication skills
- Experience with product test, equipment and instrumentation and other common processes common in the Aerospace and Defense Industries
- Working knowledge of the principles and the purpose of a Quality Management System
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Effective, clear communicator and practical problem solver
- Self-starter, working independently with the direction of Regional Leadership but able to prioritize and coordinate own tasks with focus on achieving objectives.
- Proficient experience Product Production Line Validation, test, equipment, instrumentation and qualification of Mechanical and Fabricated products
- Experience with product test, equipment and instrumentation, knowledge of thermal processes, welding and brazing, finishes and coatings, nondestructive testing, fabrication, composites and other common processes common in the Aerospace and Defense Industries
- Familiarity with APQP and PPAP and process tools such as PFMEA and Control Plan
- Practical experience with Lean Manufacturing and Lean Six Sigma
- Green / Black Belt certification from a recognized organization
- Working knowledge of the principles and the purpose of a Quality Management System
- Eligibility to obtain a security clearance from the Department of Defense
Full-Time Salary Range: $100680 - $171120
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom