Sr. Systems Engineer (Innovation Lead) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Reston, VA 20190-5228, US
Engineering & Technology
The Innovation Lead will often perform a leadership role or act independently in performing the following functions:
· Elicit and translate customer needs into specifications that can be realized and executed by multi-disciplinary development teams
· Work with customers and other program segments to define new requirements for Geospatial systems
· Perform requirements analysis, decomposition, and derivation
· Assess customer-driven Requests for Change (RFC) and lead and/or contribute to Request for Proposal (RFP) responses
· Work closely with software architects to define Concepts of Operations that will support emerging functional capabilities, define required parameters and data formats for ingest, discovery, and delivery services
· Support Technical Exchange Meetings (TEMs) with customers and other programs
· Execute and maintain lifecycle processes to ensure that the systems and services are designed and developed using mature and repeatable processes
The position will be embedded with the Athena prime contractor at their Chantilly office. Position may require occasional business travel to customer locations in support of product demonstrations and customer meetings.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status”
Required Skills and Education
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in order to interact with and present to stakeholders of all levels
- Process improvement/innovation to improve flow of delivered capabilities
- Cultivating a culture of quality and best practices
- Experience in the development of enterprise software systems
- Proactive, self-starting attitude and the ability to be productive in a dynamic/collaborative environment
- Hands-on experience in defining and implementing requirements from mission and functional objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline and 15+ years of related experience or Master’s degree plus 10 years of experience
Preferred Skills and Education
- NSG customer experience
- NRO experience
- Analysis of alternatives and engineering studies
- Familiarity with Agile management and collaboration tools (e.g., Jira)
- Project milestones and technical review experience
- Understanding of the software development life cycle
- Understanding of Commercial Cloud Services (C2S) and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom