Sr. Principal New Product Introduction Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Huntsville, AL 35806, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description You don’t see it, but it’s there. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you’ll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The World™.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
In Precision Strike & Sensing Solutions, we design and manufacture state-of-the-art systems and technology that enable our customers to execute their precision strike missions.
The individual selected for this role will be an experienced New Product Introduction Engineer with significant manufacturing proficiency expected support the Precision Strike Business Area in the Huntsville, Alabama Campus. The individual should have previous experience leading and supporting Design To Unit Production Cost (DTUPC) and Unit Production Cost (UPC) initiatives, a working knowledge of manufacturing best practices, and experience supporting and influencing manufacturbility, testability, and affordability of designs from inception through maturity preferably in an Electronics Manufacturing environment. This individual will be responsible for providing manufacturing subject matter expertise on a host of ongoing and future programs utilizing RF based Missile Seekers and Sensors; EO/IR technology, and high powered lasers.
As the New Product Introduction Engineering Lead for the Huntsville Business Center, the individual will be responsible for collaborating with all functions of the business including Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality, and Supply Chain. The lead will develop and execute strategies to ensure the product line is supported by world class design for manufacturing and congruent product and process design techniques. The individual should be well versed and experienced in Six Sigma and Lean methodologies.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Experience leading and supporting early life product and process development cycles
- Providing a critical base of knowledge and expertise for the development of highly manufacturable and maintainable products
- Partnering and collaborating with Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality, and Supply Chain throughout product life cycle
- Driving a producible architecture in early product life
- Strategic development and execution of New Product Introduction Organizational Construct
- Communicating with Product Line Leads and Business Leadership to understand and deploy personnel resources according to product/program need and resource capability
- Interpreting and applying manufacturing learning curve and improvement strategies across multiple programs
- Providing Subject Matter Expert level knowledge of DTUPC development and execution strategies across various stages of product life cycles
- Supporting proposal and cost evaluation activities to support linking DTUPC and Price to Win targets
- Providing active support and strategic solutions to DTUPC, Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Test (DFT), UPC type activities
- Understanding of cost drivers and how to mitigate them inclusive of test yield, manufacturing yield, scrap, etc.
- Working with teams to develop affordability solutions that coincide with identified DTUPC efforts
- Leading development teams through Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA), Manufacturing Feasibility Assessments, and coordinating actions/mitigation plans in accordance with AS9145.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- BS in Industrial, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or equivalent and 8 + years of work experience
- Six Sigma Green or Black Belt
- Strong understanding of manufacturing methods and cost improvement activities
- Knowledgeable on RF system on a chip manufacturing, packaging, and testing
- Familiarity with microwave PWB design and manufacturing
- Highly effective team player able to self-manage and priorities schedule and responsibilities
- Must be self-motivated, independent, and an effective communicator
- Must be a US citizen eligible for a DOD security clearance and will be subject to a security investigation
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Working knowledge of Financial systems, cost rollups, finance organization/language
- Proficient in Excel, Visual Basic, Dataview type programs
- Experience in managing program teams in either a development or production setting. PMP certification is a plus
- Knowledge in the design and manufacturing of gun hardened electronics is desired
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom