Software Engineering Supervisor with Development Experience (Hybrid) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Fort Worth, TX 76107-4600, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description See what you are missing! Here in our Test and Support Solutions (T&SS) group you will work on some of the world’s most advanced Test and Support systems. You will manage the design, development, test and documentation of software applications to test various aircraft capabilities and support equipment items. At BAE Systems, you will be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we are innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems. Our engineers are the lifeblood of our company and we are more than 5,000 strong. With our robust offering of educational and career development opportunities, your chances to grow are limitless.
T&SS is seeking a Software Engineering Functional Manager to provide functional management / supervisory leadership and engagement to a diverse group of software engineers. We are looking for an individual with strong leadership skills who can attract, engage, and retain talent. As a functional supervisor, you will support and advocate for your software engineering staff through career planning, training, timely performance feedback, formal performance appraisals, program staffing, and application of Software Engineering process and best practices. This is a multi-faceted position where your management/supervisory duties will account for approximately 10-15% of your time and your software engineering program tasks will account for the remaining 85-90%. This is a hands-on technical/leadership role on a multi-disciplinary team.
The ability to travel occasionally domestically and/or internationally is required to support customer meetings and witness lab or aircraft testing.
In this role:
- You are a functional supervisor for 10-15 software engineers
- You will provide guidance, support, and coaching to your functional group through regular employee one-on-ones
- You will work to cultivate a caring culture that promotes belonging, all-around well-being, and equity on your team by leading inclusively
- You will attract, engage, and retain high potential employees to support the program area
- You will support staffing for your group including interviewing candidates, assisting with hiring and staffing decisions, onboarding new team members, and facilitating employee program assignments
- You will develop employee goals, monitor employee performance, provide performance feedback and support group compensation management
- You will assist with employee coaching, training, and counseling
- You will identify and develop critical skills that align with your employees’ interests and are required to meet program area business objectives
- You will provide effective communication – flow down / flow up within your group and across the SDBC software engineering organization
- You will promote and enforce company ethics policies
- You will help drive performance for your group by supporting Program Managers, Project Engineering Managers (PEMs) / Chief Engineers, staffing and monitoring execution on projects, and helping to resolve technical and personnel issues
- You will help ensure that programs follow company and program processes
- You will contribute to continuous improvement activities to improve the software engineering organization and the company at large and ensure adoption within the organization
- You will understand industry trends and best practices to ensure BAE Systems develops and maintains the capabilities required to provide technical discriminators
- You will support new business activities including proposal development, task estimate development and task schedule developmen
- You will be directly involved in the management of the programs you support.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- US Citizenship with the ability to acquire a Secret clearance
- Demonstrated Leadership Abilities
- Strong communication skills and interpersonal skills which facilitate working with others in a team environment
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering or Engineering related discipline with 10+ years of experience after the date for the completion of your Bachelor’s degree, or 8+ years of experience after the date for the completion of your Master’s Degree
- Software engineering background and leadership experience that includes leading small (< 6 people) to mid-sized (6 – 12 people) engineering teams
- People management experience with proven performance management, mentoring, coaching, and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to interface with senior internal personnel on significant community matters, often requiring coordination between organizations
- Demonstrated experience exhibiting inclusive leadership behaviors to create and reinforce a psychologically safe team environment
- Experience developing system requirements, designs, verification/validation of systems, and/or product integration
- Experience with proposal development, task estimates, and project management processes
- Software architecture, design, and development experience using C/C++ or Java
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Previous or current experience as a people manager
- Successful engineering project management experience encompassing technical, cost, schedule and quality topics
- Past experience developing and integrating software/hardware systems
- Use of common lab equipment/good background in performing and documenting lab work
- Ability to read wiring diagrams, schematic drawings, or engineering instructions to assist in software/hardware debug, applying knowledge of electronic theory and components
Full-Time Salary Range: $127900 - $217400
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom