Software Engineer II (Hybrid) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Fort Wayne, IN 46818, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description Because this role involves a combination of collaborative/in-person and independent work, it will take the form of a hybrid work format, with time split between working onsite and remotely. The remote percentage is based on current program needs but will be less than 50%.
See what you’re missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
In Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) Systems, you’ll help develop systems that sense, control, exploit and disseminate actionable information to warfighters supporting a variety of missions.
The BAE Systems Airborne Tactical Radios (ATR) business is a provider of secure and reliable voice and data communications systems. Our software-defined radios employ state-of-the-art electronic counter-countermeasures (ECCM), along with utilizing the latest embedded encryption engine and voice compression techniques. As part of the C4ISR business unit within the Electronics Systems (ES) sector of BAE Systems, ATR expands the modular, open architecture communication systems capabilities of the company. We are looking for software developers to help with the continued success of our products by engaging in software development and integration of the next generation waveforms into open system architectures.
As a Software Engineer II, typical job functions include:
- Participating on collaborative, cross-discipline integrated product teams to design, develop, test, integrate and provide support for real-time embedded software products for software-defined communication systems and their associated diagnostic, analysis, and support application software.
- Developing solutions to problems of moderate complexity.
- Applying expertise to develop solutions to problems under general direction.
- Demonstrating a sound understanding of industry practice, techniques and standards.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- 2+ years of work related experience spanning software design, implementation, testing, and system integration.
- BS from an ABET accredited university with a major in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, Physics, or related field.
- Software development experience with C, C++, or related languages.
- This position requires candidates to be able to work on-site in closed areas in the Fort Wayne, IN facility.
- This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Knowledgeable in Communication Systems or similar domain.
- Understanding of peripheral communication busses such as I2C, SPI, CAN, etc.
- Competent in interfacing with FPGAs and other memory-mapped devices.
- Experience in real-time embedded software development on General Purpose Processors (GPPs), Digital Signal Processors (DSPs), and etc.
- Proficient with the use of Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS) such as VxWorks, INTEGRITY, SYSBIOS, etc.
- Experience with RTOS board-support packages (BSPs), kernels, and drivers.
- Familiarity with Linux kernel development, device trees, and drivers.
- Involvement with open architectures such as the Software Communications Architecture (SCA), Future Airborne Capability Environment (FACE), Vehicle Integration for C4ISR/EW Interoperability (VICTORY), C4ISR/EW Modular Open Suite of Standards (CMOSS) and Sensor Open System Architecture (SOSA).
- Understanding of Agile life-cycle processes including Scrum, Continuous Integration, and Test Driven Development Methodologies.
- Capable of leading projects or processes, including the delegation and review of work.
- Experience with providing guidance, coaching, and training to junior engineers.
- Master of Science degree (M.S.) in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, Physics or related field.
- Hold an active SECRET clearance.
Full-Time Salary Range: $61830 - $105120
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom