Software Configuration Management Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92127-1874, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description You don’t see it, but it’s there. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics
– from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F- 35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you’ll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The World TM.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
BAE Systems is seeking a qualified candidate to be a member of the Software Configuration Management Team. We’re looking for self-motivated, self-directed, and innovative engineer, with a positive attitude and work ethic. The qualified candidate will be responsible within an assigned program(s) for executing all software release activities in accordance with the software configuration management plan, company policies, practices, and requirements. Tasks are performed to accomplish software identification, change management, status accounting, audit and verification in support of Software Configuration Management (SCM). The qualified candidate will also collaborate with Engineering to manage code releases using Continuous Integration Tools.
- Responsible for the development of builds, scripts, procedures, and control systems, including source code control and issue tracking. Execute software release and change control functions using the designated SCM Tools in order to ensure software product integrity and meet program schedules. Perform and document all required builds to ensure reproducible and consistent software configuration baselines.
- Manage Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery/Deployment environment and tool set. Practice agile methodologies in a fast paced DevOps environment. Provide technical guidance and educate team members on development and operations. Utilize tools and processes to automate manual tasks.
- Facilitate Configuration Control Board activities, including agendas and minutes. Actively participate in CCB meetings with customer and company personnel, as required, to explain configuration status. Develop and generate metrics as related to SCM (e.g., issue tracking counts, lines of code).
- Establish and enforce SCM Policy on assigned program(s) as set forth in company procedures or project Configuration Management Plans. Contribute to the creation and maintenance of company SCM policies. Prepare and update project SCM Plans and internal work instructions. Participate in company internal and external audits.
* Based on multiple factors, remote work may be a possibility for this position, at the discretion of the business.
** Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship statusRequired Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering/technical discipline, and 4+ years of related experience or equivalent
- US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a Secret security clearance
- Experience with software compilation, assembly, and delivery of source code into finished products or other software components.
- Experience in establishing and administering tool specific source code libraries (Git/Bitbucket, GitLab), to include software builds, change control (Jira), and release management.
- Experience in facilitating a software Configuration Control Board (CCB).
- Knowledge of Software Configuration Management fundamentals.
- Familiarity with SAE ANSI/EIA-649B Configuration Management Standards.
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration tools (e.g., Jenkins, GitLab).
- Evaluate SCM systems with the ability to proactively identify problems with the process and/or data integrity.
- Technical writing skills, capable of creating required engineering documentation such as Software Version Description (SVD) documents.
- Consistently works on complex assignments requiring independent action and a high degree of initiative to resolve issues as well as an understanding and compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Ability to multitask and respond to ad hoc requests, such as creating and delivering media, within compressed, iterative development schedules.
- Cross functional collaboration with Engineering, Quality Assurance, Finance, and Export teams.
- Team player with a proactive attitude and the ability to be productive in a dynamic/collaborative environment.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or similar
- Advanced experience and administration of CM Tools (Jira, Git/Bitbucket, GitLab)
- Advanced experience and administration of Continuous Integration Tools (Jenkins, GitLab)
- Experience migrating projects from ClearCase/ClearQuest to Git/Bitbucket/Jira
- Experience with Agile Scrum/SAFe practices or Agile Scrum Master Certification
- Knowledge of various scripting languages (e.g., perl, shell, python)
- Active Secret Security Clearance
- NDIA Configuration/Data Management Certification
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom