SMT Principal Industrial Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
In this role you will be providing technical support to Manufacturing Operations Surface Mount Technology (SMT) area in the form of enabling and improving the flow of product through manufacturing utilizing the disciplines of industrial and mechanical engineering. This role will provide technical guidance and leadership to the SMT group for processes and materials
- New product introduction support and Design for Manufacturing analysis.
- Data analysis and process improvement in SMT areas
- Future road map creation and execution in SMT area
- Capacity and capability analysis for the SMT area
- Subject Matter Expert on SMT processes and materials for the Cedar Rapids Facility.
- Responsible for technical problem definition and solution in manufacturing environment. Interfaces with design engineering on incorporating changes to the designs which improve manufacturability.
- Determines the most efficient sequence of operations and work flow, and establishes methods for maximum utilization of production facilities and personnel
- Conducts studies pertaining to cost control, cost reduction, inventory control through the application of Lean principles.
- Determines the most efficient sequence of operations and work flow, and establishes methods for maximum utilization of production facilities and personnel.
- Perform assignments requiring use and application of standard engineering economics and product development principles and techniques.
- Maintain awareness of the technological state-of-the-art and of the Company's competitive position in the SMT areas.
- Understands and considers how facility design and layout for manufacturing processes and equipment affect economic factors, process flow, operator efficiency and comfort in performance of job duties.
- Individual job duties may vary.
- Because this role involves a combination of independent and collaborative work, this position can be conducted 100% remotely
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's STEM Degree
- 10+ Years work experience
- 5 + Years direct Surface Mount Technology experience
- Ability to obtain Secret Level Security Clearance
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Programming and trouble shooting stencil printing, pick and place, AOI AXI, and Solder application equipment, reflow profiling, and cleaning.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of SMT industry standards such as IPC-610, J-Std-001, and other SMT industry standard documentation.
- Experience with New Production Introduction (NPI) and evaluation of new designs for DFM through SMT processes. Valor or similar software tool experience a plus
- Knowledge and understanding of of failure analysis equipment and techniques
- SIR, FTIR, SEM, X-ray, etc
- Programming and troubleshooting automated equipment. Fuji/Nexim is a plus.
- Capital equipment specification, purchase, and integration
- Tool and fixture design
- Lean and Six Sigma
- Cpk capability studies, Gage R&R, data analysis
- US Citizen and Security Clearance or the ability to obtain one
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom