Shipyard Management Intern - Fall 2022 Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description How does it feel to work on a team driven to make a big impact? Empowering. We believe your career should always be growing. And that’s exactly what it will do at BAE Systems. You'll hit the ground running with a company truly committed to your growth as you enjoy a special camaraderie on a team dedicated to protecting what really matters. Build your future at BAE Systems.
As an intern you will participate in our nationwide Internship & Co-Op Program, LEAP, where you will have the opportunity to Learn, Engage, Apply, and Progress within the company. You will also have access to additional benefits such as, networking with BAE Systems employees and other students, participating in exciting real world projects, joining exclusive informational sessions with senior leaders, and expanding mentorship opportunities and career development.
BAE Systems Ship Repair is seeking to hire Shipyard Management Interns this fall at the following locations; San Diego, CA, Jacksonville, FL & Norfolk, VA. Relocation will be offered, but housing is not provided.
This is a six week internship targeting students currently enrolled in a maritime program requiring a short-term experience. Relevant majors would include Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Maritime Affairs, and Mechanical Engineering programs at one of the following maritime academies such as California Maritime Academy, Maine Maritime Academy, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, Great Lakes Maritime Academy, State University of New York Maritime College and the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA).
As a LEAP Shipyard Management Intern, you will:
- Work within a diverse workforce and functional groups
- Gain exposure to and understand the complexity of Navy Surface ships and various commercial vessels
- Interact with team members within our company such as program management team members (ship superintendents, project managers, program managers, etc.), craft managers, craft supervisors, safety/chemist employees and other customers
- Contribute to substantial work that will be beneficial to your academic and future professional careers
- Assist the Programs department to manage a designated portion of a Navy surface ship repair package including the installation, modification, and repair of complex equipment and systems in Engineering, Crew Berthing, Electronic/Combat System Suites, and Mission Control spaces
- Conduct ship checks; attend meetings; read and interpret detailed work items, drawings, and customer requirements
- Gather and interpret data for reports and analyses. Verify source material for authenticity purposes
- Provide support in preparing reports, documentation, and analyses to higher level department personnel
- Obtain documentation and other data needed to help develop procedures for future projects and analyses
- The work environment characteristics described are those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Frequently exposure to wet and/or humid conditions, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, and extreme heat
- Occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts and high, precarious places
- The noise level in the shipyard environment is usually loud; office environment is usually low to moderate
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Candidates must be currently enrolled at a Maritime Academy and pursuing an accredited degree in technical disciplines leading to an Undergraduate degree in the fields of Naval Architecture, Maritime Affairs, Marine Engineering, or related fields.
- Ability to work under the direction of program managers and engineers to perform tests, and evaluate materials for particular applications
- Familiarity with current, computer applications and technologies in applicable engineering disciplines (2D/3D Modeling software, Microsoft Office Suite).
- Ability to develop basic technical design and developmental problem-solving skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective, professional relationships, and communicate effectively
- Ability to access shipboard spaces via vertical/inclined ladders and through compartments with limited overhead and/or confined spaces
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Completed their sophomore year of study
- Entry level knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures within the related fields of engineering (Free Body Diagrams, stress/strain relationships, static analysis of forces on rigid bodies, etc...)
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom