Shipfitter Journeyperson Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
BAE Systems in San Diego is seeking Shipfitter Journeypersons that will oversee production ship fitting operations aboard ship vessels and fabrication shop. Components to fit/fabricate include but are not limited to structural parts, deck plates, bulkheads and foundations using Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Flux-Cored Arc Welding (FCAW) and Gas Metal Arc Welding Pulse (GMAW-P) processes.
- Ship fitting operations include rip/outs by oxy-fuel torch cutting, plasma cutting and at times cold cutting.
- Must be able to work within a team-based environment to accomplish all aspects of ship fitting and welding fabrication.
- Candidates may be required to travel to different sites or Naval Bases.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Minimum of 5 years shipyard Journeyperson level experience.
- Must be able to obtain DBIDS credential/Government clearance to enter NAVSTA and Navy Vessels.
- Ability to accomplish ship-fitting operations aboard vessels and shipboard environments.
- Must be able to rip-out, fabricate and install components based on NAVSEA drawing requirements with minimum direction given.
- Must be able to use hand tools and power tools safely and efficiently.
- Must be able to pass a hands-on welding practical test on SMAW, FCAW and GMAW-P (5XXX Aluminum) by way of a VT NDT within no more than two attempts.
- Welding test will consist of partial penetration fillet weld test plates in three positions each; overhead (4G), vertical (3G) and horizontal position (2G).
- Must be able to pass an oxy-fuel torch test within first attempt.
- Must have own basic ship-fitter tool kit.
- Must be able to understand, read and interpret welding symbols based on the requirements of Military Standard 22-D and have working experience with Military Standard 1689, DM 10-623B and CG-47 Crack Repair Manual.
- Ability to cross-craft between ship fitting and welding.
- Ability to interpret and understand NAVSEA drawings/blueprints.
- Good communication and good interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts (1st shift 6:00am to 2:30pm, 2nd shift 3:00 to 11:00).
- Must possess basic reading, writing and mathematical skills.
- Must be physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position.
- Must be able to work at heights, in confined spaces and have the ability to climb staircases and ladders of varying sizes.
- Must be able to carry personal tool bag weighing anywhere from 20-30 lbs.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom