Job Description Job Attributes+
Jacksonville, FL 32226, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Are you looking for a career that will provide you with great Benefits and a chance to grow in your craft? BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards Jacksonville Florida Location is seeking to hire Shipfitters from entry level to experienced.
The selected candidate will perform shipfitting duties in all stages of repair and modernization of US Naval & Commercial Vessels. Responsibilities to include tacking and fitting of bulkheads, railings, foundations, deck plating and other structural members. Assembles, cuts and grinds metal structural parts to include, bulkheads, strongbacks, turnbuckles, comelongs. Aligns parts in relation to each other. Performs layout work according to blueprints or reference lines. Marks location of holes to be drilled, drives wedges and installs temporary fasteners to hold parts in place for welding or riveting. May perform pre-fabrication work inside shop. Performs related tasks as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills The selected candidate must be able to exercise and exhibit the following competencies:
- Ability to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence.
- Comprehensive understanding of ship repair terminology and ship compartment location nomenclature.
- Compliant to wear (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
- Ability to write comprehensive Condition Found Reports (CFR) describing the material condition of the ship as it pertains to the assigned work item, and provide recommended corrective action.
- Ability to effectively confer job related information to the structural supervisor and small groups.
- Ability to read and interpret structural drawings (including weld symbols), sketches, specifications, and NavSea standard items and Navy damage control diagrams.
- Experience fabricating templates, squaring plates, scribing in structures, and installing perpendiculars on ships in accordance with drawings, specifications, or sketches.
- Experience using oxy-acetylene torch for cutting and washing.
- Welding experience: SMAW (S-11A) (fillet)
- FCAW (S-1) (fillet), GMAW (S-25) (fillet)
- Experience using hand and power tools safely including but not limited to mauls, grinders, circular and reciprocating saws, and hand and magnetic drill.
- Understand the proper use and operation of structural shop fabrication equipment, including shears, punches, and brakes.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals using US customary measurement system.
- Possess a working knowledge of, and be able to take measurements using the metric system.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Defense Biometric Identification System, "DBIDS" Access Card..
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Marine Maritime or Heavy Industrial Experience desired.
Full-Time Salary Range: $35048 - $62400
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom