Senior Systems Engineering Manager Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Los Angeles, CA 90056, US
Engineering & Technology
You don’t see it, but it’s there. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F-35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you’ll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The WorldTM.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us.
In supporting the Global Integrated Solutions team at the Los Angeles Business Center (LABC), you will have the opportunity to support a diverse product portfolio including High Integrity Flight Control Computers, Flight Control Sensors and Actuators, Helmet Displays, Head-Up Displays, and Automated Test Equipment. Working closely with international end users, OEM customers, and in-country partners, the suitable candidate needs to be a dynamic leader with a flexible mind-set able to work across multiple cultures and time zones to ensure successful engineering program execution.
Ideally, the candidate will have Integrated Product Team Lead (IPTL) experience on Avionics products needed to ensure successful project execution on multi-million dollar international programs executed out of the LABC. Prior knowledge of Line Replaceable Unit (LRU) and Shop Replaceable Unit (SRU) testing philosophies is highly desired to support the development and production of Intermediate and Depot level logistic support solutions.
This opportunity is a dual role job as a Systems/Software Engineering Discipline Manager supervising a group of Software/System Engineers, and an Integrated Product Team Lead responsible for execution of International Programs for Global Integrated Solutions.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Manages and executes on various engineering projects understanding different cultural frameworks, interfacing with suppliers, customers, and senior leaders to ensure achievement of financial, schedule, technical, and new business performance objectives.
- Provide functional leadership with focus in the areas of effectively staffing programs, developing personnel through training and mentoring them in ways to improve their skill base and their application of those skills.
- Support Product Team Leads with execution of project needs as necessary.
- Develop Knowledge Books and standards to share and continuously improve our systems and software processes.
- Actively promotes a culture of diversity, safety, health, and personal wellbeing for self, employees and the program team.
- Support to both Domestic and International travel with be required at times.
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Ensure company processes are being followed, with a focus on export control
- Support new business pursuits, cost reductions, customer support, project leadership and process improvement
- Provide and maintain functional processes, procedures, and best practices
- Meet Department budgets (Training, overhead, etc)
- Collaboratively work with peers and PRG/PTL Leads to Staff projects appropriately
- Provide resources and tools required by team
- Ensure appropriate expectations/goals are in place for employees
- Communication flow down (Unit meetings)
- Performance and compensation management
- Ensure a culture of Continuous improvement (lessons learned/knowledge development) is in place
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Demonstrated ability in executing International Programs
- Experience with Earned Value (EV) Measurement Process, demonstrating an understanding of using EV for managing program performance using Schedule Performance Index (SPI) and Cost Performance Index (CPI)
- Understanding of Intermediate and Depot Level Maintenance support testing requirements
- Management of full scale development programs from requirements thru certification
- Strong communication skills required, as the IPTL/PE is the engineering lead and focal point to program management and senior management
- A self-motivated individual, with demonstrated ability to make decisions on how to proceed forward with minimal management guidance
- Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering discipline and 10+ years of related experience
- Previous experience in project leadership role or functional management
- Knowledge of system development processes and procedures with a focus on continuous improvement
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- International offset experience, developing of technology transfer solutions with maximum potential for offset credits
- Familiarity and experience with flight, avionics, engine or industrial controls programs
- Experience with Requirements Management (i.e., DOORS) and Configuration Management (i.e., Synergy) tools
- Familiarity with product and system safety
- Experience with Model Based Development & Requirements Based Verification
- Familiarity with industry standards such as DO-178B/C, ARP4754 and DO-160
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom