Senior Scrum Master Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92127-1874, US
Engineering & Technology
Top Secret/SCI Polygraph
Job Description An experienced Agile Scrum Master is needed to work on a large-scale software and hardware integration effort. The selected candidate will be responsible for facilitating a large complex agile team, or several small agile teams as part of a larger Agile Release Train (ART) delivering value to the customer using Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) as the agile framework. She/he will help educate the teams in Scrum or Kanban to ensure that the agile processes are being followed. She/he will help remove impediments and foster an environment for high-performing team dynamics, continuous flow, and relentless improvement. The selected candidate will work with team members, with other Agile Scrum Masters, and with support personnel to ensure that the team's commitments at the Program Increment (PI) Planning are met. She/he will facilitate horizontal communication across team members to identify any impediments that may prevent team progress while working mitigation plans. The selected candidate will be responsible for sensing, determining, and leading discussions when issues need to be analyzed or triaged, and for making improvements in determining and implementing improvements to processes. Strong attention to detail and focus on task completion is critical.
· Responsible for facilitating self-organizing team(s) to ensure the team is making progress against Program Increment commitments
· Protect the team from scope creep during execution of the PI
· Remove impediments for the team and coordinate with the Release Train Engineers in implementing solutions
· Help team members communicate, coordinate, and cooperate
· Supports and enforce Scrum process and other rules
· Ensures that the team has a clear understanding of Definition of Done and how to meet it
· Coordinate with other teams on the Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and communicate status to management
· Work with the Product Owner/s to review and prioritize features
· Lead and facilitate SAFe ceremonies to include sprint planning, sprint review, demos, sprint retro, and PI planning
· Work with Product Owner/s to develop User Stories to meet the Feature acceptance criteria
· Maintain and generate information radiators for the teams
· Collect and share team metrics with the team, determine when new metrics are needed, and develop improvements in metrics
· Coach teams on agile and scrum principles with the goal of continuous improvement
· Observe team dynamics, recognize strengths and weaknesses of individual team member's contributions, and coach the team as a whole to drive improvements in productivity
· Create a fun sharing and learning environment, experiment with various ideas to improve delivery, including pair-programming and cross-functional training
· Promote teamwork to achieve sprint goals
· Lead teams towards agile maturity
Required Education, Experience, & Skills Basic Qualifications
· At least 8 (eight) years of relevant work experience as a Scrum Master or similar role leading a technical team.
· Experience working as a Scrum Master for a software development or similar technical team
· Certified Scrum Master (CSM), SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) or similar agile project management certification (PMI-ACP)
· Experience using agile project management tools (e.g. Jira, VersionOne, Rallye, IBM RTC)
· Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, and time management skills are a must
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, across diverse systems and groups
· If the selected candidate is located in CA, some travel to MD will be likely, for 2-4 (consecutive) days each quarter for PI Planning sessions.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Preferred Qualifications
· Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as System Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering Science, Engineering Management, or related discipline
· Experience working with large software systems including hardware integration and test
· Experience working with multi-disciplinary technical development teams
· Experience using SAFe as the agile development methodology
· Experience-affecting change in organizations working towards agile adoption
· Experience applying test automation, test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment to achieve built-in quality by the team
· Experience using Kanban as a means to improve flow on support teams
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom