Senior Principal Architect II Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Sterling Heights, MI 48312, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description What’s it like working for an innovative company that takes on some of the world’s most important challenges? Rewarding. Our reputation is built on delivering quality products that meet our customer's standards and help protect our U.S. service members. We rely on our team of Engineers to help make it possible. We are seeking a Senior Principal Architect II to lead the definition of the electrical, mechanical and software architecture for application of Open System Architecture (OSA) into military vehicle platforms.
As a Senior Principal Architect II, you will be responsible for evaluating and preparing engineering documentation such as Model-Based System Engineering Architectures and Interface Control Documents. You will lead design and integration that will enable developers and product owners to evaluate their concepts and designs. Platforms will include sensor fusion and machine-learning algorithm integration, communications, power generation and distribution, user interfaces, vehicle mobility/drivetrain, target recognition, lethality and crew augmentation in support of various vehicle systems.
As a Senior Principal Architect II, you will lead a technical team, communicate with internal and external stakeholders, support presentations and development of proposals, and develop statements of work to both customer and vendors. You must be highly self-motivated, have strong analytical and creative problem-solving abilities, as well as solid communication and interpersonal skills. You must be able to find order with ambiguous requirements and be comfortable adapting to developing customer and business objectives.
This is an onsite or hybrid on-site position working a 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off. For current BAE Systems employees, you may be able to support this position from your current location.
- Develop and evaluate electrical system architectures for military vehicles
- Develop architecture for and implement, integrate, and test hardware/software for optionally manned, autonomous and operationally-realistic environments
- Lead engineering design, development, analysis, test, and production support of assigned projects to meet cost, quality, performance, and schedule requirements
- Lead specific technology initiatives involving Independent Research and Development (IRAD) or Contract Research and Development (CRAD) funds
- Ensure all Cybersecurity requirements are met within the Autonomous domain
- Ensure Product Safety aspects of all subcomponents, components, and deliverables within the OSA domain
- Assess project risk areas and develops risk mitigation plans
- Apply knowledge of multiple engineering disciplines, as well as in-depth knowledge of assigned product or technology area in guiding project direction
- Regularly prepare, present, and defend project technical results and recommendations to external customers and internal high-level management
- Guide the preparation of assigned proposals, including responsibility for technical and cost content
- Maintain state-of-the-art familiarity with industry practices, trends, and applications to enhance the organization’s technical capabilities. Advise senior management on new developments, evolving organizational needs, and required technical competencies
- Maintain a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety objectives and policies
- This position is in a lab and vehicle environment with high voltage and high power components
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field
- 10+ years relevant experience in electrical engineering, robotics controls, vision systems or unmanned domains
- Open System Architecture experience (such as AUTOSAR) throughout the vehicle development lifecycle
- Experience with Model Based System Engineering (MBSE)
- Experience developing in a modern software development environment, automated testing, continuous integration and deployment, and DevSecOps environments
- Working knowledge of hardware and software aspects involved with integrating sensors used in today’s autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles such as day/night cameras, ultrasound, computing engines, and other vehicle automotive sensors
- Autonomous experience throughout the software development lifecycle to include vehicle system architectures and controls for both unmanned vehicle operation
- Two or more years as a Project Lead Engineer or equivalent with supervisory experience
- Excellent teamwork skills, technical writing skills, written communication skills, and oral communication skills
- Technical leadership and management including project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and control, and closeout
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Master’s or PhD degree in Engineering
- Experience with modeling and simulation of unmanned or autonomous vehicle, e.g. MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with electrical architecture and schematic captures tools such as Magic Draw and Mentor Graphics Capital
- Experience in vehicle networking protocol tools such as CAN, Ethernet and their associated diagnostic tools
- Experience in combat vehicle design, operation and testing
- Experience in software design and hardware/software integration of air, land, or sea-based robots
- Experience with developing safety critical code
- Familiarity with commercial safety standards related to adapting autonomous driving for commercial applications and potential adaptation to military vehicles
- Working knowledge in the development of robust real-time algorithms for environment perception using sensor fusion and familiarity with developing algorithms that fuse the input from the various sensor systems for environment perception
- Experience with Modular Open Systems Approach (MOSA), Ground Combat Systems Common Infrastructure Architecture (GCIA) and Future Airborne Capability Environment (FACE)
- Practical knowledge and experience with applicable engineering processes to include process tailoring and process improvement
- Hold a Cyber Security Certification
- Experience in adapting Off-The-Shelf electrical hardware and system into military tracked and wheeled vehicles' rugged environments
- Experience with power electronics at 28V and 600V
- Familiarity with DC and AC military specifications or automotive power standard
Full-Time Salary Range: $140690 - $239140
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom