Senior Human Geographer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Quantico, VA 22134, US
Job Description BAE Systems Intelligence & Security division is seeking a Senior Human Geographer to join our team in Quantico, VA in support of a Maritime effort for (MAGIC) Marine Corps Intelligence Activity Analysis, Geospatial Imagery, and Counterintelligence Support Services program.
What is it like working for a company that helps governments recognize, manage, and defeat threats? Exciting, invigorating and satisfying.
The ideal candidate will provide direct support to GEOINT analysts, engaged in in-depth GEOINT production, research, and ad-hoc projects using multiple computer databases and special source libraries. Utilize GIS tools to perform data mining and research, and to assess, integrate, manipulate, exploit, extract, and analyze digital imagery, geospatial databases, and various sources. Use remote sensing, spatial analysis, and GIS tools along with research skills to construct geospatial intelligence databases. Generate required documents and visual aids. Work on projects that range from local studies to regional trends, across a range of geographical scales and times. Demonstrated participation in and/or directing the activities of highly skilled technical and analytical teams responsible for developing solutions to highly complex analytical/intelligence problems. Must possess knowledge and experience with digital cartography, computer technology, Geographical Information Systems (GIS), cartographic and geospatial production techniques, remote sensing, photogrammetry, and digital data formats. Be a self –starter, be able to work alone, yet be able to share information with team members and customer in a timely manner. This effort will require regular and effective collaboration with regional analyst, imagery analysts, geospatial analysts, military officers, cartographers, intelligence analysts, engineers, technicians, managers, vendors, or other customers.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Must have at least 12 years of relevant human geography experience. Knowledge should have been gained through cartographic experience, regional accounts, imagery tasks, or geospatial tasks. Understanding of Geospatial Policies. Skills with MS Office, data mining, expert level ability to develop and manipulate, and maintain databases. Experience in creating visual aids (graphs, charts, etc.) and drafting, editing, and proofreading documents for publishing. Skills with ArcMap, ArcGIS, ArcCatolog, Erdas Imagine, Google Earth, Remote View, and email and common office software products to include spreadsheets and word processing. Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated customer support skills, Ability to work in a very dynamic and demanding work environment.
- Analysis includes, but not limited, to religious, linguistic, ethnic, social, tribal, and occupational domains with respect to geography and resources to characterize the dynamics of groups of people worldwide. It incorporates expertise sociology, cultural anthropology, demography, psychology, geography, economics, and political science.
Candidates will be expected to:
- Provide subject matter expertise in situational awareness, intelligence production and analysis for/on to countries of interest determined by the Government.
- Collaborate with Intelligence Community (IC) Agencies and Open-Source Libraries to identify and acquire information/sources required concerning the analytic process to create and exploit human geography datasets such as cultural, socio-economic, population, political, historical and religious activities, terrain, land cover and soil data.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and user guides including Production Process Flow line; Source Selection, Evaluation and Preparation; HG Production Methodology/Data Processing; HG Schemas/Templates/Metadata; Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) Criteria and Process; HG Data/Product Outputs; HG Data/Product Dissemination/Archive/ Feedback/ Management, for Human Geography modeling for common Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) software platforms to include briefing the conceptual or theoretical underpinning for each model and the intended benefits of the model.
- Provide ability to exploit necessary data sources and user controlled individual variables/indicators to enable users to produce specific data set in their own exploitation environment.
- Provide subject matter expertise to determine appropriate datasets and recommendation on weighting factors for various variable/indicators.
- Develop new models or modify current models as required, while also developing additional best practice methods for exposing and/or optimizing existing results via Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) compliant web services.
- Models shall include but are not limited to vehicle mobility analysis; terrain analysis; economic counter narcotics; counter terrorism; hydrology; littoral; climatology; land use change; climate change; urbanization; natural disasters; societal vulnerability; ethnicity and tribal characterization; environmental-food-water security, atrocities and violence, wired and wireless spectrum, population vulnerability and other areas in the domain of human geography.
- Develop methods for analyzing quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) model results while also creating accuracy metrics to the results of SATs.
- Deliver relevant and timely Human Geography data, information, models and tools that enable integration within the multi-intelligence environment.
- Maintain community awareness to inform and develop unique uses for artificial intelligence, automation, and augmentation technologies (AAA) for human geography exploitation.
- Access to data services that can contribute to the enhancement of the human environment.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Knowledge of Marine Corps TTPs pertaining to littoral operating environment.
Masters of Science Degree
Full-Time Salary Range: $75570 - $128480
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom