Senior Engineering Leader - Austin - Controls and Avionics Solutions Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Austin, TX 78753, US
Engineering & Technology
BAE Systems is seeking a senior engineering leader for the Controls & Avionics Solutions (CAS) expansion in Austin. This person must be a self-starter with strong communication and organizational leadership skills.
The role will be responsible for the execution of a portfolio of projects, discipline leadership and oversight of the engineering CAS expansion in Austin.
The individual will report to the US-Controls Business Area Engineering Director and will be based out of the Austin location. The US-Controls engineering organization provides controls and power technical knowhow to deliver high integrity controls, cabin and avionic controls, and power generation and control capabilities. The organization includes engineers in Endicott NY, Fort Wayne IN, Los Angeles CA, Seattle WA and Austin TX.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life
Responsibilities will flex with business needs and includes, but are not to be limited to:
- Accountable to meet the overall cost, schedule and technical performance of the integrated engineering teams for all CAS projects executed in Austin
- Neutral representation of all engineering design disciplines while integrating them to meet the needs of the business
- Engineering staffing lead for people resource planning and resource acquisition for CAS expansion in Austin
- Talent development champion for recruiting, hiring, training, retention and development of the Austin engineering organization – balancing employee career aspirations with business needs and resources
- Work borderlessly to solve problems, secure resources and ensure a culture of affordability, innovation, diversity and inclusion
- Perform supervisory duties in alignment with the business , administering communication, performance compensation and recognition in alignment with the business needs, values and budgets
- Collaborate with and support peer engineering leaders on US-Controls staff with various organizational operations and process improvement initiatives
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and 12+ years related experience (Master’s Degree Preferred)
- Proven ability to lead a diverse teams across multiple sites with different cultures and experience levels
- Ability to define, develop and maintain critical skills in support of business needs
- Proven ability to establish relationships and build trust with key stakeholders and customers
- Extensive technical leadership experience and mission/domain knowledge developing control systems relevant to business area products and systems
- Proven ability to share and transfer technology and know-how across organizational boundaries
- Practical understanding of Program Management, Product Development, Systems Engineering, SW Engineering, HW Engineering and DoD and Civil product development lifecycles
- Proven performance in management, mentoring, coaching and communication
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and decision-making ability
- Business acumen and project leadership skills
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Master's Degree and 10+ years of engineering/management experience
- Proven track record of increasing responsibilities in managing teams of significant complexity
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom