Senior Counsel Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Cedar Rapids, IA 52498-0506, US
Job Description Job Description:
BAE Systems’ Electronic Systems Sector is seeking an experienced lawyer to join the Electronic Systems Legal team.
To assist the Deputy Chief Counsel in providing legal advice and representation involving all matters where the Company, including its subsidiaries and affiliates is, or would be, a party.
These duties include, but are not limited to, providing legal opinions, interpretations, drafting of documents and other general legal assistance to all levels of Company personnel and management on legal issues affecting the Company.
The successful hire will ensure the business is in compliance with, and operates ethically within all relevant corporate and governmental directives, policies, regulations, and laws in its transactions and protect the company against potential claims and litigation.
Duties to include:
1. Under general direction, this position will function in a generalist role supporting the Deputy Chief Counsel and Vice President, Chief Counsel.
2. Conducts legal research under minimum supervision and prepares written opinions based on that research.
3. Guides the successful resolution of legal problems, examines various documents and data and provides counsel to all levels of management, including senior management, on best courses of action.
4. Negotiates and prepares a variety of contractual documents including, but not limited to, licenses, contracts, subcontracts, non-disclosure agreements and teaming agreements.
5. Stays current on legislative issues, statutes, decisions, laws, regulations and ordinances.
6. Participates in reviewing, interpretation and drafting various company policies and procedures.
7. Analyzes, prepares, and reviews various matters including contractual documents to ensure the Company’s interests are protected. May consult with or refer matters to outside counsel as required, typically upon recommendation of the Deputy Chief Counsel.
8. May assist with analysis and advice regarding litigation and pre-litigation matters.
9. Conducts internal investigations under the supervision of the Deputy Chief Counsel.
10. Assists in the preparation of various legal training courses.
11. Interprets various governmental regulations and policies.
12. Analyzes, prepares, reviews and interprets new and existing commercial item determinations under government contracts, and stays current on all laws and regulations related to the obtaining and preservation of commercial item status for products delivered under government contracts.
12. Remains current on state and federal laws, regulations and practices affecting company business.
13. Accepts other tasks as assigned by the Vice President, Chief Counsel or Deputy Chief Counsel.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Required Education: Bachelor of Arts or Science and a Juris Doctorate Degree. Admission to practice in the United States, preferably the State Bar of NY, NH, IA, VA or MA.
- Required Experience: Minimum 8 years of relevant experience with in-depth knowledge of the FAR/DFARs and other relevant government contracting rules and regulations, including, but not limited to, experience in the area of contracting in a FAR Part 12 environment and supporting/preserving commercial item determinations within a FAR-based procurement.
- At least 5 years experience conducting commercial item determinations and ensuring commercial item status for products delivered under government contracts
- Excellent oral and written skills as well as outstanding organizational and analytical skills required.
- Must be a self-starter, able to handle a multitude of complex and challenging situations and to work with little supervision.
- Senior Project/ Program team member responsible for workflow which is varied in nature with situations frequently requiring new solutions.
- Work independently, but collaboratively in a team setting while displaying a high level of self-direction and sound judgment.
- Must have a pro-active approach to address issues before they create legal exposure.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of eight (8) years or equivalent of prior experience in a law firm government contracts practice or federal contracting in-house environment.
- Experience in a technology/product based organization is strongly desired.
- Ability to obtain security clearance is required, and current active Secret clearance is preferred.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom