Sales Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92127-1874, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description Position Description:
As a Sales-Engineer, you will employ selling techniques that are different from those used by most other sales members. Generally using a “consultative” style; that is, focusing on the client's problem and showing how it can be solved or mitigated with GXP products or services. This selling style differs from the “benefits and features” method, whereby the salesperson describes the product and leaves the customer to decide how it would be useful. The candidate must be a business-focused, creative, technically-capable, self-starter who can work with other account executives to understand the customers, their needs and their challenges so that requirements can be mapped to the functionality of our software and services. Because of this, it is imperative that the candidate be a proficient leader and problem solver.
- In addition to retaining current clients and attracting new ones, the Sales-Engineer will help clients solve any problems that arise when the product or service is installed. Afterward, they may continue to serve as a liaison between the client and GXP.
- Because of their familiarity with clients' purchasing needs, the Sales-Engineer will be asked to undertake tasks such as performing market research, creating market strategies and conducting competitive assessments to create viable business cases. Drawing on this same familiarity, the Sales-Engineer will help identify and develop new products and new business models.
- The Sales-Engineer must be able to translate doctrine, CONOPS and Tactics, Techniques & Procedures (TTPs) into concepts, requirements, and design guidance that internal development teams can understand.
- The Sales-Engineer must be able to develop broad conceptual solutions that solve customer problems by integrating capabilities and products from across the enterprise to enhance mission effectiveness. This requires extensive knowledge of Enterprise-Class systems in the NSG.
- The Sales-Engineer must possess extensive knowledge of GXP products, including knowledge about its components, functions, and the scientific processes that make them work. They use their advanced technical skills to explain the benefits of GXP products to potential customers and to demonstrate how GXP products are better suited than the products of their competitors.
- The Sales-Engineer will have a combination of technical knowledge of the products they are selling and strong interpersonal skills because the products and services will often need to be modified and/or adjusted to meet customers’ specific needs. The candidate will work closely with Product Management and Engineering to understand and influence the company’s road-map and vision.
- The Sales Engineer will have accountability (a quota) for new sales of licenses and technical services for the financial year.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, or a related field
- At least five years working experience with intelligence analysis software applications and software systems, including products from GXP, Exelis, RemoteView, Palantir, RadiantBlue, etc.
- At least five years combined in large-scale proposal development; Enterprise Architecture; and development of Geospatial and Intelligence information systems with integration of commercial vendor technologies.
- Some travel is required – between 30% – 50%.
- Must have active TS/SCI clearance
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom