Safety Tech II Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Job Description The BAE Systems site in San Diego, CA is hiring for a Safety Technician II for its 2nd Shift. In this position, the Safety Tech II:
- Performs daily inspections of various work areas including sea going vessels, piers, docks and buildings.
- Documents inspections and communicates safety and health findings with subcontractors and customers on a daily basis.
- Ensures compliance with safety / health regulations, company policies and procedures, consensus standards, and customer requirements.
- Identifies and facilitates corrections of potential hazards, hazards and infractions, or ceasing operations until corrected.
- Focuses on areas of concern to include life and safety codes, safe work practices, personal protective equipment usage, walking and working surfaces, hot work, slips, trips, fall protections, fire prevention, housekeeping, confined and enclosed space entry, hazard communication standards and Global Harmonizing System, electrical safety, portable power usage, machine guarding, etc.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Typically requires an Associates in a related discipline (i.e. safety, science, technical), or a high school diploma/GED and two (2) years experience, or the overall equivalent.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with employees, management, customers, subcontractors and regulatory agencies.
- Experience training groups of various sizes.
- Ability to perform evaluation and testing in various environments including but not limited to noise, illumination, atmospheric conditions (confined spaces), and ensuring proper working environments are established and maintained.
- Computer literate in standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and industry specific software.
- Able to populate and maintain department databases, archive, write reports, maintain files, etc.
- Must be capable of working in a variety of physically demanding environments and weather conditions including climbing, bending, crawling, working at heights, inside of enclosed and confined spaces, heat, rain, wind, etc.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and be able to acquire and maintain a government access badge.
- Ability to support on the 2nd Shift, 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Able to support overtime as needed to include weekends and holidays.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Preferred but not required:
- Current OSHA Maritime 10 Hour training, 24 Hour and annual 8 hour update for Shipyard Competent Person training.
- Five years experience as a safety technician or inspector.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom