Safety Manager Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Job Description BAE Systems Inc., is currently recruiting for an experienced Safety Manager to support our San Diego Ship Repair facility. In this role you will be responsible for maintaining an OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) and Occupational Health and Safety program (ISO 45001:2018) that supports the safe execution of production activities in accordance with the corporate safety policy and all federal, state and local regulations. You will also develop working partnerships across the organization that promote a positive, proactive approach to ensuring worker health and safety; create and maintain an effective method for review of work processes to ensure a robust approach to hazard identification, risk assessment and the implementation of operational controls; and establish and maintain the infrastructure and organization necessary to consistently deliver industry leading Safety and Health performance.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state regulations, consensus standards, and customer requirements.
- Liaise and coordinate with other BAE Ship Repair Safety Organizations to ensure common understanding of and compliance with Occupational Health and Safety program requirements and Navy and Local Standard Item requirements by employees working under the “One Shipyard” concept.
- Conduct incident investigations. Train Safety Staff in incident investigation and personally engage management with investigation results. Make recommendations for process improvement and hazard mitigation.
- Arrange for robust safety inspections on vessels under contract and throughout the San Diego Ship Repair facility; Train Safety Staff in inspection methods and provide personal oversight of these inspections.
- Ensure continued certification to ISO 45001:2018 standard through 3rd party registrar.
- Ensure continued Occupational Safety Health Administration Voluntary Protection Program validation as a “Star Site”.
- Ensure adequate risk assessment, hazard analysis and determination of controls of work processes throughout the San Diego Ship Repair facility and aboard vessels under contract. Train employees in risk assessment, root cause analysis, hazard analysis, and elimination / mitigation measures.
- Schedule, conduct, and oversee occupational safety and health training. Ensure that all employees are appropriately trained in safety practice and protocol commensurate with the requirements of their position.
- Chair the Executive Safety Committee, providing the General Manager with subject matter expertise and consultation necessary to advance the safety culture of the organization.
- Coordinate, schedule, and participate in site inspections with Insurance companies, government agencies and regulatory bodies and report findings to corporate management.
- Manage the Safety and Health operating budget to include equipment purchases, training, material purchases and salaries.
- Review and update Safety and Occupational Health policies and procedures, ensuring they are accurate, current, and reflect the latest Regulatory, Industry, and Company standards and requirements.
- Supports the production and program management team by developing safe, cost efficient solutions to production challenges.
- Creates an environment of actively engaged partnering, coaching, directing, and when necessary enforcement of company and regulatory requirements.
Required Skills and Education Bachelor’s and 8 years of related safety, maritime and / or Navy experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Proficient in OSHA regulations, consensus standards, and customer specifications, with specific additional focus on maritime standards.
Experience in managing an Occupational Safety and Health system (ISO 45001:2018 or equivalent).
Experience in managing an OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) Star site.
Proficient in basic First Aid to include CPR/AED.
Capable of recognizing risks and hazards associated with the maritime industry.
Requires use of conceptual and innovative thinking (i.e., identifying solutions).
Developed communication skills to exchange complex information.
Basic knowledge of industrial hygiene, air monitoring for heavy metals and asbestos, and noise abatement.
Computer capable to include MS: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
During ship board and shop inspections the Manager will be exposed to hot and cold temperatures, wind and rain. Frequently required to stand, sit, reach, bend, climb, walk, and climb into and out of confined spaces and climb ladders and stairs. Must be able to obtain and retain a DBIDS.
Preferred Skills and Education Master’s Degree in Occupational Health and Safety.
Certified Safety Professional or equivalent.
Experienced working with NAVSEA standard items and Navy requirements / practices.
Knowledge of shipboard design and layout.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom