Safety, Health & Environmental (SHE) Programs Director Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Falls Church, VA 22042, US
Job Description What’s it like working at BAE Systems? In a word, Remarkable. BAE Systems Inc. has an exciting opportunity for a SHE Programs Director to support the company’s commitment to ensuring world class standards across its operations. Reporting to the VP, Safety, Health and Environmental, this role will be responsible for development of programs that proactively sustain compliance and provide assistance to sectors/site locations to mitigate risk. Additionally, implement strategies to achieve goals and track emerging regulations.
We are looking for an experienced leader with a strong background in a matrix environment delivering exceptional results. The SHE Program Director will serve as a subject matter expert and is routinely sought after to be a mentor. Our ideal candidate will be an analytical thinker who comes up with innovative approaches including predictive analytics to mitigate risk.
This is a wonderful opportunity for someone who is eager to bring a positive, entrepreneurial attitude, an enthusiasm for team development and a passion for global sustainability.
- Development of SHE programs to sustain compliance/mitigate risk; extensive collaboration with sector SHE staff to ensure that developed programs are focused on key risks, routine consultation with sector SHE teams and operations leaders at sites to assess and resolve multimedia compliance matters and provide guidance on sustainable management system implementation;
- Manage ISO 14001, 45001 and other related SHE requirements across the company;
- Drive overarching SHE performance improvement across all sectors;
- Implementation of strategies and tools to achieve ESG goals; provide tactical "walks" for each goal over the time horizon to outline how each will be achieved; implement related programs including "treasure hunts", "kaizen events" and others to conduct at a site level inclusive of diverse teams including but not limited to facilities engineering, SHE, engineering, procurement and operations;
- In conjunction with government affairs and other external resources, track emerging SHE regulations; subscribing to various SHE regulatory notifications compile and communicate across sectors;
- Collaborate with sector SHE staff and other functions (e.g. communications, regulatory affairs, legal, HR) to assess potential impacts of emerging SHE regulations on sectors and take measures to address as required.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree with 12 + years of experience;
- Strong multi-media SME functional expertise across SHE;
- Strong understanding of both safety and environmental risk assessment, risk mitigation and controls;
- Clear strategic thinker, strong collaborator and effective communicator;
- Must have excellent project management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully execute in a matrixed environment;
- Team-focused with exceptional analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, conflict resolution and change management skills.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Master’s Degree Preferred;
- Major/Degree in Engineering (Civil, Environmental, Chemical, Safety or other related discipline); Science (Safety, Environmental);
- Experience as a site SHE SME for a large operation with an intimate understanding of matrixed business organizations and manufacturing operations;
- Professional Engineer, Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, Water/Wastewater Operator or other relevant designations.
Full-Time Salary Range: $128100 - $217800
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems, Inc.BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom