Safety and Health Technician Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Jacksonville, FL 32226, US
Job Description Meaningful. Empowering. Remarkable. That’s a career at BAE Systems.
We are hiring for a Safety Technician to support at the Jacksonville, Florida ship repair location. In this role as a Safety Technician, you will assist in developing, implementing, and managing safety goals, policies, and procedures. You'll support operations in connection with safety matters including onsite job safety audits, federal, state and company compliance. Note: This is an entry-level opportunity.
- Conduct daily inspections to ensure compliance with safety/health regulations, company policies and procedures, and customer requirements of the shipyard environment; including sea going vessels, docks, and facility buildings.
- Identify, communicate, and document safety discrepancies. Report safety issues to Safety Manager and appropriate parties. Advise on corrective actions.
- Verify that all safety discrepancies are abated.
- Assess and evaluate internal safety process and provide recommendations.
- Assist with accident investigations on all safety related incidents.
- Assist with training of employees, subcontractors and ship’s force as necessary.
- Manage administrative duties and maintain databases, programs, etc.
- Responsible to drive ethical behavior and instill a culture of Safety, Health & Environmental throughout the organization, including continuous improvement of Safety standards.
- Foster an environment that encourages initiative, creative thinking, collaborative action, and process improvement that results in improved product quality, performance and customer satisfaction.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Typically requires a High School Diploma or the equivalent;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with employees, management, customers, subcontractors, and regulatory agencies;
- Ability to speak in front of groups of various sizes;
- Computer skills to include Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint);
- Capable of working in a variety of physically demanding environments and weather conditions. This can include climbing, bending, crawling, working at heights, inside of enclosed and confined spaces, heat, rain, wind, etc.;
- Self-motivated with ability to initiate and perform work independently with minimal prompting;
- Must be able to obtain and maintain DBIDS;
- Able to support overtime which can include workdays of up to 12 hours;
- Able to support in a shipyard environment.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Previous exposure or experience as a safety technician or safety inspector;
- Degree in Occupational Safety and Health or related field;
- Proficient in OSHA 1915 and 1910. Ability to interpret federal and local regulations, codes and/or standards;
- Maritime OSHA 10 Certification is preferred. Able to acquire OSHA 10 certification within 60 days of hiring date;
- Prefer OSHA 521, OSHA 3115, OSHA 5410, and OSHA 3095 certifications. Candidate has to be able to obtain this certification within 6 months upon hire.
Full-Time Salary Range: $41200 - $65900
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom