RF Signal Processing/ATR Algorithm Systems Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Huntsville, AL 35806, US
Engineering & Technology
See what you’re missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
BAE Systems is seeking a Huntsville, AL-based RF Signal Processing/ATR Algorithm Engineer to join a growing algorithm team developing cutting-edge capabilities in multimodal/multifunction seeker automated target recognition (ATR) and intelligent weapons automation. You will serve as a key technical contributor on our integrated product team in the Next Generation Weapons (NGW) portfolio of the Precision Guidance and Sensing Solutions (PGSS) product line. You will be responsible for deeply impactful contributions to next generation military autonomy. Members of the NGW algorithm team drive collaborative value creation that is greater than the sum of their individual contributions. You will participate in efforts across the full-spectrum of technology maturation ranging from Strategic Initiatives, IRAD/CRAD R&D prototypes, EMD units, LRIP units to full rate production systems. As a principal-level contributor, you will work with other engineering staff & team leaders to grow and capture our knowledge through engineering changes, lessons learned, insights, Agile retrospectives and product/process improvements in your area(s) of expertise. Finally, since cultural and behavioral principles are a special part of our SE (Systems Engineering) organization, we are also looking for team players who will support our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us at BAE Systems. This role will be staffed in our new and expanded facilities in Huntsville, Alabama. In Huntsville, our Engineering team is working in a recently opened state of the art facility and operating in a unique environment where we have the power and resources of BAE Systems behind us while working in a dynamic and flexible model with the feel of a start-up.
Because of the need for consistent, in-person collaboration and/or the requirement to perform all work onsite due to the nature of this particular role, it will be performed fulltime on site. This means work will be conducted on location at a BAE Systems facility 100% of the time.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Must be a US Citizen with who is eligible for Top Secret/SCI/SAP/SAR clearance.
- Candidate must possess either an MS in Physics, EE, Mathematics, or equivalent with 4+ years of experience; or PhD in Physics, EE, Mathematics, or equivalent with 2+ years of experience
- Thorough understanding of RF systems architecture, link budget analyses, RF propagation models, familiarity with RF receivers and transmitters architectures, background with digital receiver architecture, and digital signal processing techniques.
- Algorithm experience in design of imbedded communications within mission aligned active RF emissions.
- The successful candidate will have experience with machine learning/ATR related concepts/techniques including dimensionality reduction, network-based regression, classification, kernel methods, data cultivation and engineering, synthetic data generation, hyperparameter/model selection, and clustering.
- Algorithm team members must exhibit a total commitment to knowledge capture and technical communication including ongoing production of detailed documentation, version control, formal and informal peer instruction, cross-training, and collaboration, generation and presentation of technical summaries to senior-level customer and product line leadership, and preparation of detailed whitepapers in support of business development and capture.
- Must possess a deep desire to rapidly develop, mature, and field SWAP-C efficient multisensor technologies incorporating cutting-edge techniques in target detection, ATR, and multiplatform collaboration/automation, and be willing to work overtime as needed to meet critical mission deadlines.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- High Range Resolution and SAR Image Development.
- Have experience in RF algorithms that detect and track objects in high clultter environments.
- Ability to generate algorithmic solutions for resource-constrained embedded hardware profiles
- Basic knowledge of sensing modalities across the electromagnetic spectrum including passive EO/IR, lidar, and hyperspectral sensing.
- Exposure to data fusion-related applied mathematics and statistics concepts including but not limited to random set theory, conditional and relational event algebras, applied topology, fuzzy logic, network and graph theory, and basic elements of group theory.
- Proficiency with Python algorithm development, experience employing GPU-acceleration of algorithms (CUDA, Numba, CUPy, etc.), ability to work hand-in-glove with software engineers as part of an Agile development team to achieve mission success, and the willingness to develop algorithms in a Python/CUDA/C++ software ecosystem.
- Advanced experience in machine learning including architecture, training, and deploying neural networks such as GNNs, PINNs, CNNs, GANs, etc., using tools such as TensorFlow and PyTorch in conjunction with an ML-Ops pipeline (Sagemaker, Kubeflow, etc.) and/or other à la carte ML-Ops tools.
- Development and testing of RADAR algorithms that compose the Active Electronically Steered Array (AESA) RADAR foundation. This includes, Signal Processing and Data Cube Management (e.g., Beam-Forming; Space-Time Adaptive Processing (STAP); Doppler Processing; Split-Gate Processing, etc.)
- Experience with any of the following is a plus: Linux, Latex, Docker, Kubernetes, NITF, hdf5, AWS/Azure cloud computing/storage, SLURM, BASH scripting, Matlab, Sphinx/ReST, Doxygen, PyCharm, VSCode, SQL, Git/GitLab, Tableau, Power BI, Seaborn, Plotly, Neo4j, Apache Spark, MS Project, Jupyter Lab, X2Go/SSH, GNU-Compiler collection.
Full-Time Salary Range: $99200 - $168600
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom