Quality Manager II Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Austin, TX 78725-2151, US
Job Description You don’t see it, but it’s there. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F-35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you’ll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The WorldTM.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us.
The role is responsible for effective Supplier quality management & performance (Supplier quality assurance, Incoming Inspection & FAI’s, continuous process improvement, supporting programs/projects, AS9145 and leading SQE & Inspection team) for Austin Business Center (ABC) programs in Austin, TX. Areas of responsibility include technology, applications, processes, and people resources in support of all Austin Programs.
In this position you will work closely with product line managers, other program quality/quality assurance professionals, and BAE Systems counterparts to provide value-added solutions in concert with Zero-Defect plans and support toward achieving near-term goals, longer-term strategic objectives, and compliance to federal, state, and local statutes. The successful candidate:
- Enjoys working with and coaching supplier quality engineers and inspectors to continuously improve execution success across portfolios, programs and projects
- Possesses strong communication and presentation skills to facilitate effective communication at all levels of the organization
- Needs to be a hands-on leader willing to take responsibility for resolving technical challenges, ensuring successful tactical execution, as well as creating and implementing the strategic vision
- Has an agile leadership style and able to adjust one’s approach to fit the situation as a driver, coach, mentor, or teacher
- A visible leader who takes a collaborative approach with others and comes across as approachable
- Relates well with individuals at all levels of the organization, builds appropriate rapport, constructive and effective relationships
- Establishes a positive and collaborative relationship with internal and external customers
- Can diffuse even high-tension situations effectively
Primary duties include:
1) Provide direction, supervision, and guidance of Supplier quality & Incoming Inspection team & develop Goals & Objectives to ensure alignment with customer requirements, quality policy, strategic objectives & organizational goals.
2) Collaborate with management for planning, execution, and oversight of process improvements, projects of special interest, and product line or business area related initiatives.
3) Formulate and approve policies and procedures in supplier quality assurance & inspection, and drive process improvements.
4) Lead supplier quality & incoming inspection teams to determine strategy and tactical deployment, improve performance & goals, lower costs, and generate innovative solutions collaborating with product line and business area.
5) Interface with internal and external customers & drives suppliers root cause & corrective action needs.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's Degree and 10+ years’ work experience or 14 years of experience in lieu of degree
- Proven performance in leadership of people, technical, and resource management
- Ability to provide career guidance to employees
- Strong mentoring skills to collaboratively develop performance and develop objectives
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to monitor employee performance and provide feedback
- Ability to help resolve technical, staffing, and personnel issues
- Ability to represent the employee and serve as an advocate for the team
- Experience managing, staffing, and developing personnel in a technical environment
- Excellent teamwork, communication, and coordination skills
- Experience with the review and approval of FAIRs based on AS9102 industry standard
- Strong understanding of 8D (or equivalent) problem solving methodology
- Experience in parts/components development thru APQP/PPAP (AS 9145).
- Experience operating in an ISO9001/AS9100 Quality Management Systems environment
- Audit experience
- Experience collaborating with internal and external customers
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Technical MS degree (in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering) and/or MBA
- LSS Green Belt, prefer Black Belt certification from ASQ
- Experience establishing a new manufacturing site and getting AS9100 certification
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom