Project Engineer, Tooling Fixture Design Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Aberdeen, SD 57401-3338, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description What’s it like to work in a manufacturing plant that operates with a in a culture that prioritizes Safety, Quality, Schedule, and Cost (in that order) to all aspects of our business? The short answer is it’s challenging – but it’s the most rewarding and fun job you’ll ever have!
BAE Systems is seeking an experienced Process Engineer/Mechanical Engineer/Design Engineer at our Aberdeen, SD facility. Working with the manufacturing teams you will be responsible for designing tooling/fixturing to make our processes safer, build a quality product, and complete the process in less time.
Using design and technical skills to add to the further success of the BAE Systems Aberdeen manufacturing plant. This will involve working with teams to identify problems and using design skills to put together solutions. The job will involve working with team players consisting of engineers, shop technicians, vendors, and leadership.
The following are the desired skills for this position:
- 3D CAD preferably with CREO. Familiar with 2D Auto-CAD
- Design of tools, fixtures, material handling and other manufacturing equipment
- Analytical/structural, including the use of FEA tools and general engineering calculations to determine safety margins
- Ability to detail drawings of your designs and work with vendors to have the designs fabricated
- Familiarity working in a defense or Aerospace manufacturing environment
- A willingness to learn from and listen to others, work generally without supervision, juggling multiple demands in parallel, and to be respectful of the diversity, skills and experience of others you may work with
- Can work with teams of engineers, shop technicians, vendors, and leadership to find solutions to manufacturing process problems
- Can effectively lead or support projects including good communication and writing abilities.
- Familiar with technical standards including ASME and GD&T.
- Has a disciplined approach to problem solving
- Has good ethics and can be trusted with spending and purchasing of equipment
- Familiar with NDT testing and to specify these as needed
- Manufacturing documentation support including the use of 3D CAD images for manufacturing procedures
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Degree in Mechanical engineering preferred, however, other similar disciplines will be considered.
- Expert with ASME Y14.5-2009 GD&T, Military Standards, ASME Standards.
- Working knowledge of Creo and Pro-Intralink/Winchill or similar programs.
- Proficient with Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools used for schematic capture of printed circuit board designs
- Familiarity with comprehensive design process including conceptual development, physical design, support to procurement and manufacturing
- Familiar with standard manufacturing practices for the efficient fabrication of mechanical components and assemblies
- Strong understanding of GD&T in accordance with ASME Y14.5
- Good written, verbal and virtual communication skills.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Knowledge of statistical process controls.
- Electronic manufacturing software experience such as Oracle and TipQA
- Experience in a defense or aerospace manufacturing environment.
Full-Time Salary Range: $73350 - $124740
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom