Project Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Kingsport, TN 37660-1048, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, has an opening for a Project Engineer at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN. The Project Engineer will lead multi-discipline engineering teams on multi-million dollar industrial design and construction programs.
BAE Systems helps protect those who protect us. At our R&D and manufacturing facility at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN, we do this by developing safer explosives for our government and commercial customers.
Holston AAP has provided high quality explosives for our soldiers since WWII and will continue to push the frontier of energetic material synthesis and manufacturing with your help. Learn more about this area of our business at www.baesystems.com/OSIjobs.
- The Project Engineer (internally called a Chief Engineer) is the technical engineering lead for the modernization programs in support of additional manufacturing capacity through plant modernization design, development and construction programs.
- Leads the technical project team in the application of BAE Life Cycle Management processes and methods used in the design, development and commissioning. Guides and develops the requirements, processing methods, equipment and engineering tasking for design, development, and commissioning.
- Leads engineers in support of the Holston Capacity Expansion projects.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Technically lead the engineering staff assigned to the specific Modernization programs in the design, development and commissioning activities.
- Responsible for overall technical viability to requirements as well as successful completion of engineering tasks on the assigned projects.
- Create the technical development plan and overall engineering tasking.
- Lead the technical team in meeting schedule within budget.
- Provide regular updates to progress.
- Provide technical risk management for the project.
- Coordinate the technical aspects of the Capacity Expansion Modernization programs with the overall OSI (Ordnance Systems Inc.) team.
- Lead internal engineering or external suppliers in the development of drawings, statements of work, and specification packages for procurement of equipment or services.
- Support the transition to production following commissioning.
- Prepare budgetary and engineering estimates in support of proposal efforts.
- Supervise subcontractor work to ensure satisfactory performance of the scope of work.
- Prepare schedules regarding assigned technical tasks and provide status on tasking, while working alongside the project manager.
- Prepare work flow schedule and process task duration estimates.
- Responsible for assisting the Project Managers in development of the budget, approval of purchase requisitions and of invoices.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Skills and Education
- Required education: Bachelor Degree in Engineering.
- Experience in the chemical process industry.
- 6+ years related experience in engineering design, development, and commissioning.
- Competent in an engineering technical project leadership position leading multiple engineering disciplines.
- Must be able to effectively communicate and interface with various functional departments and customers.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Experience in System Engineering processes and DoD projects.
- Experience in explosives manufacturing.
- Licensed Professional Engineer or the ability to obtain a license within 12 months.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom