Program Director Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Project & Program Management
Job Description BAE Systems, Inc is currently recruiting for a Program Director to join the BAE San Diego Ship Repair leadership team. In this role, you will be responsible for the strategy and management of Navy warship and commercial programs, while developing new, innovative ways to manage multiple large scale projects for our customers.
This position reports to the Director of Programs. Main roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- For assigned programs, projects and personnel, executes strategies, policies, practices, and programs that leverage the corporation’s skills, capabilities, and experience for government and commercial customers in support of business objectives.
- Develops and clearly communicates program vision for assigned projects, ensuring the consistent required level of program Safety, Cost, Schedule, and Quality adherence, and operating within Government defined standards items.
- Leads, manages, and develops assigned Project Managers and Ship Superintendents in the planning and execution of designated programs and projects through the use of earned value performance metrics (EVMS) and deck plate presence.
- Works with and integrates support matrix functions (Scheduling, Procurement, Contracts, Finance, Operations, etc.) to achieve business goals.
- Conducts regular reviews of program performance through earned value measurement to ensure program objectives are met, including budget and time constraints. Maintains and complies with BAE Systems Life Cycle Maintenance (LCM) process.
- Participates in contract negotiation and changes; coordinates preparation of proposals, business plans, operating budgets, and financial terms/conditions of the contract.
- Manages program financials in accordance with BAE Systems policies and standards.
- Meets and engages with clients and stakeholders to establish relationships, understand requirements, and communicate accomplishments or issues. Ensures collaboration between program and stakeholders.
- Monitors, controls, and communicates project budget, staffing, schedule, and performance status; prepares status reports; effectively manages program and project scope.
- Identifies and assesses project risks and issues, and develops resolutions to meet productivity, quality, and client-satisfaction goals and objectives.
- Interprets and recommends modifications to company-wide policies and practices.
- Defines objectives in collaboration with senior management and assesses results from relatively long-term perspective.
- Quality focused, schedule driven, and cost conscious leadership focused on delivering on time and under budget.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills 12+ Years’ experience with shipbuilding and/or repair for Commercial and Navy Maintenance availabilities with Bachelor's Degree.
May substitute equivalent experience, training and/or certification for the degree plus relevant experience in job-related work, which provides the necessary knowledge, skill and abilities to perform the role for the position.
Experience managing complex projects and systems, which require systems integration, operation and maintenance.
Strong leadership, negotiation, effective problem solving, agile approach to metric based data driven management, and organizational skills.
Experience managing diverse teams comprised of personnel from multiple companies and functional areas.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Earned value management experience strongly desired.
Profit and Loss (P&L) experience
Masters in Business AdministrationAbout BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom