Procurement Supervisor Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Supply Chain & Logistics
Job Description The candidate will be responsible for conducting moderate to complex procurement actions for various government programs in accordance with the prime contracts, FAR, DFAR, company policies and CPSR requirements. The individual should be able to analyze purchase orders; initiate RFQs/RFPs; review bids; select vendors; negotiate terms, conditions, and pricing of materials or services to be procured and issue/manage subsequent purchase orders utilizing Costpoint. Candidate must be able to oversee a team of buyers and support staff as well as work independently on professional assignments using judgment and creativity in solving problems while providing recommendations to management on possible solutions. Candidate will be a working supervisor and will need to administer a purchasing commodity.
• Oversee a team of buyers and support staff.
• Review and update procedures.
• Processes and complete complex purchase orders; determine prices from available vendors which meet cost and quality guidelines; place orders.
• Conducts negotiations with suppliers to obtain products at the best quantity and cost in order to ensure end-users needs are met; negotiates delivery, terms and conditions, and pricing. Be able to identify future procurement opportunities to further procurement strategies.
• Coordinates with accounts payable to resolve any problems in order to ensure prompt payment and avoid delays to end user; coordinates with receiving departments to resolve receipt problems promptly so as to not cause any delay to end users.
• Solicits suppliers/vendors for materials/products/services through formal Requests for Services (FRS) and/or Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and informal channels. Conducts complex negotiations on terms favorable considering quality, delivery, and prices; receives and evaluates proposals, quotations, and bids for acquisitions.
• Plans and coordinates the procurement of materials, products/services and equipment necessary for the operation of the business unit or assigned projects. Recommends changes to existing standards; ensures suppliers/vendor's adherence to industry standards, technical quality standards, and other corporate/business unit driven expectations.
• Analyzes bids for specification compliance, prices, delivery commitments and past performance. Recommends revisions or process improvements to meet company needs.
• Provides leadership and work guidance to less experienced personnel.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills Working knowledge of FAR/DFAR. Experience working with contracts including request for proposals (RFP) and request for quotes (RFQ). Experience soliciting suppliers/vendors for materials/products/services through formal Requests for Services (FRS) and/or Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and informal channels. Understanding of ERP and Procurement systems.
• Good communication skills
• Good analytical and problem solving skills
• Good personal computer and business solutions software skills
• Strong negotiating skills to interact with vendors
• Leadership skills to guide and mentor the work of less experienced personnel
• Ability to understand financial analysis and implications with regard to contracts and suppliers
• Familiar with Ariba, Costpoint software and CPSR requirements
• Understanding of Navy drawings and specifications
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom