Principal Test Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Jose, CA 95119, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description We are hiring a principal level engineering position at BAE Systems, Combat Mission Systems (CMS) in the Integration and Test organization in San Jose, CA. This is a hands-on and in-person engineering position and includes traveling to support field tests.
This position is for a test engineer experienced in vibration, shock and noise measurement and testing. The person will perform testing on tracked and wheeled military vehicles. Must be fluent in frequency domain data acquisition and processing. Typical jobs will be defining vibration and shock environment for mounting hardware in vehicles, interior and exterior noise level measurement, vibration and shock specification development, and modal analysis. Experience programing and operations electrodynamic shakers for vibration and shock are desired. The engineer will be responsible for developing cost estimates, test plans, instrumentation plans, instrumenting LRU, conducting testing, analyzing data and producing technical reports.
This position will also support a variety of other instrumented tests and support the Mechanical Component Lab (MCL), Vehicle Technology and Integration Lab (VTIL) and field tests.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Typically a bachelor's degree in engineering and 6+ years relevant experience. We may consider additional experience in lieu of a degree.
- Core engineering background in Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics, or Aerospace
- Spectral processing, modal analysis, acoustic testing
- Shock response and spectrum analysis
- MIL-STD-810 G environmental test procedures
- Advanced data acquisition and instrumentation skills including data processing, analysis, and presentation (MATLAB, VBA, etc)
- Initiative and leadership
- Mechanical aptitude with hands-on abilities and strong troubleshooting skills
- Must work well independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to provide clear direction and guidance and/or execute on given direction from others
- Ability to manage lab operations and lead a very small team
- Ability to travel 2 weeks or up to a month at a time
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- System or component level integration and testing experience including instrumentation and data acquisition setup, and data analysis.
- Experience with CAN Bus and/or MIL-STD-1553 Bus, and familiarity with monitoring and analysis tools.
- Test fixture design using CREO/Pro Engineer and/or other physical based modeling skills.
- Training in spectral analysis relative to vibration testing, mechatronics skills, automotive design, or related test experience are preferred.
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Veterans with applicable training/experience are highly encouraged to apply.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom