Principal Systems - Software Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Minneapolis, MN 55421-1402, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description What’s it like realizing your potential at an innovative company that takes on some of the world’s most important challenges? Rewarding. BAE Systems' reputation is built on delivering quality products that meet our customer's standards and help protect our U.S. service members. We rely on our team of engineers to help make it possible. We are hiring several Software Engineers to join our team - so be on the lookout for additional postings.
This opening is for an individual with a strong background in embedded software development who is ready to leverage this experience in the area of system design and model-based systems and software engineering. The successful candidate will have great attention to detail combined with the ability to see the big picture and to develop system design solutions that position our component and software development teams for success.
At BAE Systems, we value our workforce. We offer competitive salary and benefit packages, and we work a 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off. We also offer a hybrid option to work remotely up to 50%, which helps our employees achieve a balanced life. With at least 50% of engineering work occurring on site, there is also plenty of support for new staff onboarding and project team collaboration.
The Principal Systems Software Engineer:
- Develops and documents system designs, leveraging a significant breadth and depth of technical knowledge and experience in embedded software development to ensure workable solutions.
- Develops interface specifications, primarily in the areas of interfaces between software-containing subsystems or components.
- Combines an attention to detail with the ability to see the big picture in order to devise system design solutions that meet requirements without introducing unneeded complexity.
- Contributes to the development of systems design and software architecture and design models using SysML and/or UML.
- Works collaboratively with others across the team to contribute as a work product developer and reviewer.
- Able to mentor/coach less experienced engineers in embedded software development, helping to develop their software architecture, embedded development, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills.
- Ensures that technical outcomes are consistent with established engineering principles and practices and that customer and company technical, system, performance, process, and quality requirements are met.
#LI-HybridRequired Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in STEM related field.
- A minimum of 6 years of experience, including:
- Object-oriented design and documentation
- Real-time embedded software development
- Coding and unit testing with object-oriented programming language(s)
- Hardware-software integration and troubleshooting
- Integration with real-time operating systems
- Use of version control and issue tracking tools
- Working knowledge of UML and/or SysML
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience to include:
- Systems engineering (requirements, system design, interface design and documentation)
- Use of MagicDraw or similar modeling tools
- Use of C++ language (for embedded software)
- Use of Linux/Unix and/or VxWorks Operating Systems
- Device driver development
- Software architectural design
- Use of GitLab or other CI/CD tools
- Familiarity with relevant military and commercial design standards
- Familiarity with weapon systems, munitions, and/or combat vehicle functionality and capability
Full-Time Salary Range: $112420 - $191070
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom