Principal Systems Engineer - EO/IR ATR Algorithms Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Huntsville, AL 35806, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description See what you are missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we are innovating for the future. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.”
Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us at BAE Systems.
BAE Systems is seeking a Huntsville, AL-based EO/IR ATR Algorithm Engineer to join a growing algorithm team developing cutting-edge capabilities in multimodal/multifunction seeker automated target recognition (ATR) and intelligent weapons automation. You will serve as a key technical contributor on our integrated product team in the Next Generation Weapons (NGW) portfolio of the Precision Guidance and Sensing Solutions (PGSS) product line. You will be responsible for deeply impactful contributions to next generation military autonomy. Members of the NGW algorithm team drive collaborative value creation that is greater than the sum of their individual contributions. You will participate in efforts across the full-spectrum of technology maturation ranging from Strategic Initiatives, IRAD/CRAD R&D prototypes, EMD units, LRIP units to full rate production systems. As a principal-level contributor, you will work with other engineering staff & team leaders to grow and capture our knowledge through engineering changes, lessons learned, insights, Agile retrospectives and product/process improvements in your area(s) of expertise. Finally, since cultural and behavioral principles are a special part of our SE (Systems Engineering) organization, we are also looking for team players who will support our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Because of the need for consistent, in-person collaboration and/or the requirement to perform all work onsite due to the nature of this particular role, it will be performed fulltime on site. This means work will be conducted on location at a BAE Systems facility 100% of the time.
#ALSERequired Education, Experience, & Skills
- Must be a US Citizen with a Secret clearance who is eligible for Top Secret/SCI/SAP/SAR clearance.
- Must have hands-on experience in algorithm development, optical image/signal processing, numerical optimization, and Monte Carlo simulation.
- Must possess a deep understanding of Fourier optics, linear algebra, complex variables, and multivariable differential and vector calculus, random variables/processes, Shannon-Nyquist sampling theory, linear canonical transforms, implementations of the DFT, LTI systems theory, and optical aberrations.
- The successful candidate will have experience with machine learning/ATR related concepts/techniques including dimensionality reduction, network-based regression, classification, kernel methods, data cultivation and engineering, synthetic data generation, hyperparameter/model selection, and clustering.
- Algorithm team members must exhibit a total commitment to knowledge capture and technical communication including ongoing production of detailed documentation, version control, formal and informal peer instruction, cross-training, and collaboration, generation and presentation of technical summaries to senior-level customer and product line leadership, and preparation of detailed whitepapers in support of business development and capture.
- Must possess a deep desire to rapidly develop, mature, and field SWAP-C efficient multisensor technologies incorporating cutting-edge techniques in target detection, ATR, and multiplatform collaboration/automation, and be willing to work overtime as needed to meet critical mission deadlines.
- Candidate must possess either an MS in Optics, Physics, EE, Mathematics or equivalent with 4+ years of experience; or PhD in Optics, Physics, EE, Mathematics, or equivalent with 0+ years of experience.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- PhD in Optics, Physics, EE, Mathematics, or equivalent
- Functional understanding of optical phenomenology, atmospheric transmission and scattering, radiometry, and semi-classical optical detector theory.
- Knowledge of and experience employing mathematical/statistical principles related to optical signals including phase space signal representations, Kolmogorov/Von Karman spectrum turbulence, optical coherence theory, and quantum optics/photonics.
- Modeling and simulation relevant to passive EO/IR sensors and weapon systems, including the development of high-fidelity digital sensor/noise models, wave optics-based system simulation, and link budget analysis.
- Exposure to data fusion-related applied mathematics and statistics concepts including but not limited to random set theory, conditional and relational event algebras, applied topology, fuzzy logic, network and graph theory, and basic elements of group theory.
- Basic knowledge of sensing modalities across the electromagnetic spectrum including Doppler radar, SAR, HRR, lidar, and hyperspectral sensing.
- Proficiency with Python algorithm development, experience employing GPU-acceleration of algorithms (CUDA, Numba, CUPy, etc.), ability to work hand-in-glove with software engineers as part of an Agile development team to achieve mission success, and the willingness to develop algorithms in a Python/CUDA/C++ software ecosystem.
- Advanced experience in machine learning including architecture, training, and deploying neural networks such as GNNs, PINNs, CNNs, GANs, etc., using tools such as TensorFlow and PyTorch in conjunction with an ML-Ops pipeline (Sagemaker, Kubeflow, etc.) and/or other à la carte ML-Ops tools.
- Experience with any of the following is a plus: Linux, Latex, Docker, Kubernetes, NITF, hdf5, AWS/Azure cloud computing/storage, SLURM, BASH scripting, Matlab, Sphinx/ReST, PyCharm, VSCode, SQL, Git/GitLab, Tableau, Power BI, Seaborn, Plotly, Neo4j, Apache Spark, MS Project, Jupyter Lab, X2Go/SSH, GNU-Compiler collection, DIRSIG, FLITES, OSC.
Full-Time Salary Range: $99200 - $168600
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom