Principal Systems Architect/Engineer - EO/IR Active and/or Passive Sensing Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Austin, TX 78725-2151, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems is seeking a principal individual contributor in the field of Active and/or Passive Electro-Optical Systems to join a growing dynamic group of engineers developing leading edge capabilities in Active and Passive Sensing. You will be a technical member of the Optical Systems Engineering Capability Group that is responsible for engineering staff and test resources for the execution of design, development, integration, implementation, test and verification/validation of electro optical solutions across multiple business areas. As an individual principal level contributor, you will be responsible for and supporting of bringing technologies to bear on next-generation military/commercial applications. You will also perform, delivering technical value, in the role of active and/or passive EO/IR Systems Engineer, Systems Analyst and System Architect for programs ranging from IRAD/CRAD research and development prototypes, EMD units, to full rate production systems. Also as a technical contributor, you will work with other engineering staff members to grow and capture our knowledge through engineering changes, lessons learned and product/process improvements in your area(s) of expertise.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- US Citizen with active Secret clearance and eligible for Top Secret/SCI/SAP/SAR clearance
- Develop information that extends knowledge in the field of active and/or passive sensing in the EO domain. Apply this knowledge to the development of advanced concepts, techniques, products, processes or standards in active and/or passive EO sensing
- Act as a technical principal contributor to support program & products, technical team-mates and management as well as to customers in making key technology trade-off decisions
- Work with other experienced technical specialists in the EO domain, supporting team growth
- BS in EE, Physics, Optics, Systems or equivalent with 6+ years of experience working with active and/or passive electro-optical systems; or MS in EE, Physics, Optics, Systems, or equivalent with 5+ years of experience; or PhD in ME, EE, Physics, Optics, or equivalent with 4+ years of experience
- Working knowledge of: LADAR/LiDAR, Laser, DTV, EO, I2, CCTV, LLCCTV and/or other active sensing or illuminated theory, techniques, components, and systems across the electro optical spectrum from UV to LWIR; laser characteristics, atmospheric transmission and modeling; conduct of complex trade studies involving sensors, optical designs, link budgets, make/buy decisions, SwaP-C, and environmental constraints; including performance testing of EO components, sub-systems, and complete systems
- Working knowledge of: SWIR, cooled MWIR and/or cooled/uncooled LWIR and/or other passive sensing theory, techniques, components, and systems across the electro optical spectrum from NIR to LWIR; atmospheric transmission and modeling; conduct of complex trade studies involving sensors, optical designs, link budgets, make/buy decisions, SwaP-C, and environmental constraints; including performance testing of EO components, sub-systems, and complete systems
- Working knowledge of requirements analysis and trade-off study for active and passive sensing EO/IR designs and effectively/efficiently converting stakeholder definition to architectural design
- Working knowledge of Systems Engineering and life cycle processes stages (such as waterfall, spiral, agile/scrum, Vee) and process milestone execution decision gating reviews
- Experience working & contributing independently with limited supervision and interacting effectively with other technical team-mates to achieve product and process technical goals
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Architect, develop Concept of Operations (ConOps) and requirements, design, model, analyze, and test electro-optical (EO) infrared (IR) systems, subsystems and components (including COTS items) used in a variety of active and passive sensing solutions to military/commercial applications.
- Digital Engineering, Model Based Systems Engineering (SysML), Model Based Agile Engineering (Value Driven Digital Threads) and Agile Mindset principle, practices & processes and tools & techniques
- INCOSE CSEP Systems Engineering process, language and nomenclature preferred
- Experience supporting inter and multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, optical, software, and systems engineers
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom