Principal Supplier Quality Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
State Of 1, CA 91321, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description See what you’re missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us.
We are looking for an experienced Supplier Quality Professional in the Greater Los Angeles, California area, to implement tools and processes to ensure suppliers starting new work are prepared and have robust plans to deliver first time quality to BAE program customers.
The person will investigate, evaluate, and resolve supplier quality problems by conducting audits, analyzing defect trends, and leading continuous improvement projects. The Supplier Quality Engineer will conduct capability assessments that verify supplier qualifications, travel to assigned suppliers, and lead multiple projects to completion. You must be a self-starting problem solver who will utilize your analytical skills to find innovative solutions to quality-related issues. Strong communication skills are required to ensure suppliers understand requirements, expectations; make progress reports and present findings.
Expected Travel requirement: Approximately 50%. This will be a mix of local, day visits as well as some overnight travel, outside the local area.
The ideal candidate will:
- Utilize supplier Scorecards/metrics and analytical tools to quantify performance levels of individual suppliers and work with those suppliers to develop improvement plans to achieve quality performance goals.
- Evaluate the impact of non-conforming product and assess suppliers' corrective action robustness in order to ensure strong and permanent countermeasures.
- Champion problem solving and root cause analysis activities with suppliers to eliminate recurrence of non-conformances and drive "Zero Defect" mentality within the supply base.
- Perform Source Inspection of product at supplier locations.
- Perform and Evaluate First Article Inspections per the requirements of AS9102 as well as train suppliers to meet BAE System's expectations.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's Degree and 6 years of experience or 10 years of experience in lieu of degree
- Work Experience in a Supplier Quality Engineering role
- Experience in Aerospace or a Defense Electronics Prime Contract environment
- Working knowledge of AS9100 Quality System and AS9102B First Article Requirements and Source Inspections
- Experience with electrical/mechanical inspections, product test, equipment and instrumentation
- Direct knowledge of Manufacturing processes and supply chain logistics from raw material to finished goods including experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or technical field
- Effective, clear communicator and practical problem solver
- Self-starter, working independently with the direction of Regional Leadership but able to prioritize and coordinate own tasks with focus on achieving objectives.
- Proficient experience Product Production Line Validation, test, equipment, instrumentation and qualification of Mechanical and Fabricated products
- Working knowledge of PWB/CCA inspection/test, equipment and instrumentation (IPC-A-600 or IPC-A-610 certification desired)
- Experience with product test, equipment and instrumentation, knowledge of thermal processes, welding and brazing, finishes and coatings, nondestructive testing, fabrication, composites and other common processes common in the Aerospace and Defense Industries
- Familiarity with APQP and PPAP and process tools such as PFMEA and Control Plan
- Practical experience with Lean Manufacturing and Lean Six Sigma
- Green / Black Belt certification from a recognized organization
- Working knowledge of the principles and the purpose of a Quality Management System
- Eligibility to obtain a security clearance from the Department of Defense
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom