Principal Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) - Remote Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92127-1874, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description Because this role involves a combination of independent and collaborative work, this position can be conducted 100% remotely.
BAE Systems, Inc. is seeking a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) for a datacenter engineering group to provide support for diagnostics, troubleshooting and automation related activities for on-premises as well as cloud based systems supporting multiple programs, Research & Development projects, Initiatives, and proposal efforts across the GEOINT Defense business area.
SREs are responsible for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning. SREs will have a deep understanding of how applications function and are able to change infrastructure for production quality.
The successful candidate will serve as SRE, responsible for the smooth operation of on-premises as well as cloud based services within the limits of requirements, specifications, costs and timelines.
Job responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services, from inception and design, deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Support services before they are Generally Available (GA) through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning, and readiness reviews.
- Maintain services once they are GA by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation; evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Actively participate in incident response and root-cause analysis, support a blameless post-mortems culture
- Document root-cause analysis and offer solutions to prevent future service outages or performance degradation
- Automate repetitive tasks to eliminate toil and drive consistency + repeatability
- Design, write and deliver Infrastructure as Code software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of services
- Closely work with the DevSecOps teams to support development, deployment and maintenance of containerized applications and automate orchestration using Kubernetes
* Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status
Required Education, Experience, & Skills Minimum Education
- Bachelor’s Degree and 6+ years’ work experience or equivalent work experience
Required Skills and Education
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret/SCI security clearance
- Experience with enterprise level Windows/Linux Server/Workstation operating systems internals, networking and cloud systems
- Experience designing horizontally scalable services and capabilities
- Experience analyzing and troubleshooting systems and services
- Knowledge and experience with enterprise security concepts
- Experience with design, integration, and delivery of cloud-based solutions for web-based enterprise applications
- Experience with commercial cloud offerings such as AWS or Microsoft Azure
- Experience deploying enterprise scale applications to production using cloud-based infrastructure
- Experience working in a DevSecOps culture and supporting teams for Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) of containerized applications and automate orchestration using Kubernetes.
- Experience working with appropriate scripting languages and operating systems software (e.g., Python, PowerShell, Bash)
- Should have flexibility in approach to finding solutions, ability to understand and act on the customer needs and priorities, and ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Need to be willing to respond to occasional off-hours outages and take part in subsequent service restoration efforts
- Basic understanding of scripting & software development packages for development of Infrastructure as Code
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following languages: Ansible, Python,
- Ability to automate menial tasks
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Security+ 8570 certification
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Preferred Skills and Education
- Ability to generate design documentation using Microsoft Visio or equivalent
- Experience performing trade studies related to commercial products and services
- Hands-on experience managing, designing, or delivering with DoD/Federal Clouds such as AWS GovCloud (US) or Azure Government
- Experience using infrastructure as code tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt)
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom