Principal Quality Engineer - RF Microwave SQA Commodity Lead - San Diego, CA; Manassas, VA; Nashua, NH; Greenlawn, NY; Wayne, NJ; Austin, TX Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92127-1874, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description You don’t see it, but it’s there. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F-35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you’ll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The WorldTM.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us.
We are looking for an experienced Supplier Quality Engineer to be the Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA) Lead on the RF Microwave Commodity Team. The RF/MW SQA Commodity lead will implement tools and processes to insure suppliers in the RF Microwave commodity are prepared and have robust plans to deliver first time quality to BAE Systems program customers and provide continuous improvement on current hardware. The SQA Commodity Lead will also investigate, evaluate, and resolve supplier quality problems by conducting audits, analyzing defect trends, and leading continuous improvement projects The SQA Commodity Lead will conduct capability assessments that verify supplier qualifications, travel to assigned suppliers, and lead multiple projects to completion. The candidate must be a self-starting problem solver who will utilize your analytical skills to find innovative solutions to quality-related issues. Strong communication skills are required to insure suppliers understand requirements and expectations, make progress reports and present findings.
Expected Travel requirement: Approximately 25% plus. This will be a mix of local, day visits as well as overnight travel, outside the local area.
Additionally you will:
- Utilize supplier Scorecards/metrics and analytical tools to quantify performance levels of individual suppliers and work with those suppliers to develop improvement plans to achieve 100% quality performance
- Help implement AS9145 (APQP/PPAP) elements such as MSA’s, PFMEA’s & control plans.
- Work closely with the supply base as the liaison between BAE Systems and the suppliers
- Evaluate the impact of nonconforming product, assess adequacy of supplier corrective action responses, and ensure long term, zero defect driven process improvements are put in place.
- Champion problem solving and root cause analysis activities with suppliers to eliminate recurrence of non‐conformances
- Perform Audits and Product Process Verification (PPV's) of product at supplier locations
- Perform and Evaluate First Article Inspections per the requirements of AS9102 as well as train suppliers to meet BAE’s expectations and requirements
- Drive “Zero Defect” mentality within the supply base
- Conduct regular quality and delivery council meetings with the supplier, utilizing a cross functional team, to communicate supplier status, close running action items, and drive continuous improvement.
Nashua, NH is the preferred location, but Greenlawn, NY; Manassas, VA; Wayne, NJ; Austin, TX and San Diego, CA are also options. No relocation assistance is available at this time.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
#LI-94731553Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's degree and 6 years of experience or 10 years of experience in lieu of degree
- Working knowledge of AS9100 Quality Systems
- Well versed in Mil-Std-883, particularly Methods 2010, 2017, 2032. Mil-Std-750, Mil-PERF-38534, Mil-Std-130
- Working knowledge of various Microelectronics Processes including: Substrate attach, Epoxy automatic and manual machines. Hermetic Seal using laser and resistance welding
- Familiarity with Environmental Stress Screening including Temperature Shock, Burn-in, Fine & Gross Leak, mechanical shock
- Familiarity with Dispensing, Component Attach (both epoxy and eutectic), wire and ribbon bonding
- Working knowledge of Statistical Process Control and its application to Microelectronics processes
- Strong GD&T skills, including experience with the review and approval of First Article Inspections based on AS9102 industry standard
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Technical field with 6+ years of experience in RF/Microwave manufacturing and test environments or equivalent industry experience
- Working knowledge of supply chain logistics from raw material to finished goods including experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system/Quality Management Software system
- Certified in lean and six-sigma quality methodologies and capable of utilizing quality tools to help drive continuous improvement (Greenbelt and Blackbelt)
- Ability to obtain a Secret clearance
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom