Principal Mechanical Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Radford, VA 24141, US
Engineering & Technology
- Work with a multi-discipline engineering team to perform plant and project engineering. Select construction materials and methods, write specifications, supervise and prepare mechanical drawings, control cost, and manage work to meet project schedules
- Perform mechanical engineering analyses for one or more of the following: steam systems, hydraulic systems, pumping / piping systems, HVAC systems, machinery design and layout, process cooling and heating systems, storage tank design and construction, vessel design and construction, inspection and repair
- Conduct inspections of existing facilities such as buildings, equipment, and pipelines to determine the integrity and safety. Make recommendations concerning any needed modifications
- Support development of plans and schedules for the construction phase of projects ensuring that materials, equipment, and personnel will be available to meet project schedules
- Ensure that work is performed in accordance with plans, specifications, and good construction practices and within cost during the execution phase
- Create detailed project proposals, scopes of work and estimates
- Review and approve design packages from equipment suppliers and design firms providing constructability input
- Execute commissioning plan and maintain documentation as needed
- Consider safety in all aspects of work and design
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering. We may consider a closely related degree.
- Typically Six (6)+ years related experience including design, construction, and commissioning.
- Broad mechanical engineering experience in at least one of these areas: Tank and Vessel Design, Machine Design, or Pumps and Piping System Design.
- Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards such as ASME 31.3, ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel.
- Working knowledge of mechanical design software for efficient production of engineering work (AutoCAD, AutoCAD Inventor, etc.).
- Ability to direct design teams and external design firms and create required engineering documentation using Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Project.
- Ability to interface effectively with site operations and maintenance teams.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Professional Engineering License
- Pipe Stress Analysis using Caesar II
- 3 D Modeling and Machine Design, Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics (Caesar II, Fathom, Arrow, etc.)
- Experience in the design and construction of chemical manufacturing facilities that involve the use of acids, bases, and solvents for the production of energetic materials.
Full-Time Salary Range: $99200 - $168600
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom