Principal Mechanical Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Austin, TX 78725-2151, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems is seeking a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer!
See what you’re missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
At BAE Systems, we deliver a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. If you are an individual that enjoys a cohesive team environment and is interested in a variety of challenges across a variety of products, then we are interested in hearing from you!
The Countermeasures and Electromagnetic Attack (CEMA) Hardware Engineering Group is looking for a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer to support mechanical and electrical systems designs through all phases of development from concept to production. The ideal candidate is expected to perform activities including assisting in requirements generation and design architecture, as well as ownership of mechanical designs, thermal/vibration analysis, engineering testing, and product support.
There are multiple growth paths for the individual, technically or otherwise - Technical Lead on future programs, Control Account Manager, or Functional Manager.
**The position requires a U.S. person with the ability to obtain a minimum of Secret Clearance**Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 6 years work related experience
- Eligible to obtain a DOD SECRET Security Clearance
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in product development and support of DoD military electronics/avionics equipment
- Solid fundamentals in mechanical engineering design, material science, and analytical methodologies (GD&T, FEA, etc.)
- Experience with state-of-the-art mechanical engineering design and analysis tools (Pro-E/CREO, ANSYS)
- Working familiarity with ASME/ANSI/SAE Standards
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Motivated self-starter and problem solver
- Strong closer with focus on adhering to cost and schedule commitments
- Ability to work closely with manufacturing and operations to meet DTUPC, DFT, and DFM objectives
- Strong computer skills in basic office and technical programs
- Strong debug and problem solving skills
- Ability to mentor and willingness to be mentored
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 6 years work related experience
- Current DOD SECRET Security Clearance
- Ability to interpret higher level requirements into product design
- Familiarity with revision control
- Working knowledge of general lab equipment, including power tools, torque wrench, power supplies, multimeters, oscilloscopes, signal generators, spectrum analyzers, etc.
- Experience dealing with legacy designs
- Experience in leading a design team
- Experience in collaborating with manufacturing/operations, quality, systems engineering
- Experience in hardware design and hands-on lab debug
- Experience with Root Cause/Corrective Action tools and methods (pareto chart, fishbone diagram, etc.)
- Experience being a CAM (Control Account Manager)
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom