Pipefitter - 1st Class Mechanic (2nd Shift) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Norfolk, VA 23523-1032, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Job Description Position Summary:
Performs variety of skilled mechanical duties involving general fitting piping systems on vessels, burning / brazing, testing and sketching piping systems. operates equipment for assembly and installation; performs preventative and predictive maintenance on facility machinery; records work performed and follows specified safety policies and procedures.
Key Responsibilities & Functional Knowledge
This list is representative of the key areas of responsibility and functional knowledge required of a first class pipefitter in the Pipe shop. A first class mechanic must demonstrate an advanced knowledge of the skills, functional knowledge and abilities required to perform tasks in these and related areas of responsibility.
Advanced knowledge means that the mechanic understands how to perform tasks in these categories (including, but not limited to, the specific tasks identified below) and is able to complete them independently and teach others how to complete the tasks. This also means that the mechanic has the necessary level of knowledge of the equipment, protective gear, and machinery required to complete these tasks. A first class mechanic also is expected to strategize independently and problem-solve as appropriate.
- General Pipefitting
- Complete a sketch sheet (P-1, P-2, P-3, P-13, P-14, P-15, P-16, P-17, P-68, P-69, P-71, P-72, p-3B and tolerances)
- Read and interpret advanced blue prints
- Know the basic tools required and their uses
- Identification of piping by class, schedule, size and the systems in which they are used.
- Identification of various gaskets and fasteners and the systems they are used on
- Know types of bevels, types of backing rings, consumable inserts (E/B ring), open roots, saddles, miters, tolerances
- Remove and install docking plug
- Gas freeing- Preserval of internal structures
- Chlorinate CHT and Potable Water Systems
- Conduct hydrostatic testing
- Standard Operating Procedure for shop Hydrostatic Test Stand
- Hydraulic Benders : Greenlee Bender and Ercoliner Bender
- Operate, set up and provide maintenance on the benders
- Know the tools to use to properly assemble the bender
- Demonstrate ability to lay out a bend and figure angles
- Pre-Op Log/Test to ensure that the Hydraulic Bender units are set up safely
- Bench/Pedestal Grinders
- Operate the grinder
- Put bevels on pipes and grind pipes with the grinder machine
- Pre-Op Log/Test to ensure that the bench/pedestal unit is set up safely
- Rigid Threading Machine
- Operate and maintain pipe threading machine
- Work with thread fit-up sealants
- Complete the threading and tapping process
- Standing Drill Press
- Operate drill press
- Maintain the drill press
- Metal Cut Off Saw (Chop Saw)
- Operate and maintain saw
- Tag out the machine in accordance with the lock out/tag out procedure
- Target work/Tack Welding
- Perform target work for piping systems by taking an existing sample of an old piping system to make a new piping system
- Know which standard pipefitting tools are required
- Burn pipe using the cutting torch
- Braze and cut pipe using Grade 3 and Grade 4 brazing qualifications
- Know the oxy acetylene process
- Perform a fuel set up
- Know operations of gas welding
- Secure the rig/gas hoses
- Know the various types of materials brazed
- Complete a brazing qualification in house exam administered by Pipe Shop by inspected by QA dept.
- Hydro Pump
- Operate and maintain hydrostatic test pump 20,000 psi
- Operate and maintain test pump 10,000 psi
- Material Identification
- Must be able to identify and procure needed materials
Required Skills and Education Education Minimum: High School Diploma/GED
Minimum Relevant Experience: 4 to 7 yrs.
Practical Theory Requirements:
A first class mechanic must be trained on the NAVSEA Standard Items that are applicable to the pipefitter trade and demonstrate an advanced understanding of bevels, types of backing rings, consumable inserts (E/B ring), open roots, saddles, miters and tolerances.
- Must be able to read, write and comprehend simple instructions
- Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral or diagram form
- Must be able to calculate and understand units of measure, including fractions and decimals
- Must know how to measure using a scale and tape measure
- Must be able to wear applicable PPE (Hard hat, safety goggles, gloves, steel toes shoes, ear protection)
Blueprint reading , Specifications and Standard item comprehension, Pipefitting materials identification.
This job description does not include all activities, duties or responsibilities required for this position. The key duties, responsibilities and requirements identified in this description are subject to modification by the Company (in consultation with the Union, as appropriate) at any time.
Preferred Skills and Education Preferred but not required (based on business need)
Preferred Relevant Experience: 5 to 8 yrs.
Level 1 Pipefitting
Level 1 Sketching
Class 1 Piping
Vision Test for Silver Brazing Certification
- A written test by the manufacturer and the government must be taken and passed in order to be fully trained on Lokring.
- Swedge Lock – Mech. Fittings
- Tube Fittings
- Connect tubing
- Know different tubing sizes and the connection to different tubes
- Use the correct swedge lock based on the material (steel, copper, copper nickel, stainless steel, etc.)
- Ensure that lokrings are performed in accordance with the standard NAVSEA procedure
- A written test by the manufacturer and the government must be taken and passed in order to be fully trained
- Band saw
- Operate and maintain band saw
- Know which speeds to use based on the material used
- Set up and operate the plasma machine
- Tie Knots
- Flex Hose
- Know flex hose basics
Assist with manufacturing hoses with flex hose equipment, when trained and certifiedAbout BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom