Nuclear Surety Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Hill AFB, UT 84056, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems is looking for a qualified engineer, computer scientist, or physicist to join our team for an exciting opportunity to work on a unique government contract. The contract assists in acquisition and technical sustainment engineering and will augment government resources. The contract also provides breadth and depth of capabilities for system engineering and integration, risk management, technical assessment, acquisition program management, strategy development, organization and change management, interface with operations and logistics, business analysis, mission effectiveness, and demonstration/validation.
Why BAE Systems? BAE Systems is the third largest defense contractor in the world, with an exceptional, mission-focused culture. We are a uniquely valued mission partner delivering daily technical excellence and innovative solutions to our government customers. BAE Systems has earned accolades as a “Top Workplace” in Utah based on employee feedback for four consecutive years, earning special distinction for providing a healthy work-life balance for our valued employees. We work very hard to ensure this is a great place to work!
Why Utah? You have to see it to believe it! Utah is an amazing state with diverse geography, an eclectic culture, and an exceptional quality of life. We are located north of Salt Lake City at the foot of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains. The area offers an incredible range of outdoor pursuits across the seasons, including hiking, climbing, hunting, fishing, camping, boating, and world-class skiing at resorts that hosted the 2002 Winter Olympics. The state is home to five amazing National Parks and an easy drive from two more: Grand Teton and, famously, the first National Park in the world, Yellowstone. The Salt Lake City area offers a vast array of cultural activities and businesses, including multiple professional sports teams. It is a western states hub for exceptional, cutting-edge medical care, with people traveling from across the region for a range of nationally renowned specialty care centers and doctors. The Salt Lake International Airport is expanding and offers easy, direct access to just about anywhere you want to fly.
About the Job Our experts are responsible for integrated weapon system management, from inception to retirement. As a Nuclear Surety Engineer, you will work on a high-performing team to provide engineering, technical, and administrative expertise to the government to maintain their nuclear surety and nuclear certification programs in accordance with requirements detailed in Department of Defense, United States Strategic Command, and Air Force directives, manuals and instructions, ensuring the weapon system remains a reliable and effective nuclear deterrent. A qualified candidate will:
- Perform professional technical analysis or design reviews on one or more complex components or functional systems of products requiring the full use and wide application of established engineering principles, theories, concepts and precedents in the field plus a working knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Devise new techniques and approaches and provide solutions to a wide range of technical problems by drawing on their own areas of technical specialty and consulting with other engineering specialists for technologies where they do not have in-depth expertise.
- Evaluate plans and criteria for technical activities in their specialty and recommend alternatives as required to comply with customer and company obligations. Participate in small projects or segments of major projects responsible for achievement of cost, schedule, and technical performance objectives.
- Review and coordinate work with other team members to ensure progress is maintained to achieve specified aims; prepare data for reports on technical findings, recommendations, accomplishments and progress measured against specific plans; perform assignments as required by contractual agreements.
- Attend conferences and meetings to represent assigned activity. Develop working group meeting agendas, prepare and consolidate briefing materials, provide meeting minutes, and draft answers to action items assigned by other agencies or organizations.
- Review and provide assessment and assistance to programs on items including: Nuclear Certification Impact Statements (NCIS); Certification Requirements Plans (CRP); Nuclear Safety Analysis Reports (NSAR); Nuclear Surety Evaluation Reports (NSER); Nuclear Surety Briefings; Point Papers; White Papers; Safety & Technical Surety Memoranda; Changes to the Master Nuclear Certification List (MNCL); Nuclear Certification Plans (NCP); Engineering Evaluation Reports (EER); Software Certification Plans (SCP); Technical Order (TO) change recommendations; Engineering Technical Analysis Requests (ETAR); compliance with applicable 91- series USAF Instructions; and the completion of assigned action items from safety mishap investigations.
- Author and publish white papers, formal analyses, and briefing materials to document engineering-based rationales to inform decision-makers in support of BAE Systems recommendations to our customer.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Nuclear Surety Section Lead.
This position is located at Hill Air Force Base, Utah. Pursuant to Government contract, this position requires U.S. Citizenship status, and qualified candidates must be eligible for a U.S. Government security clearance. Final level will be determined by qualifications.Required Education, Experience, & Skills
Bachelor or Master of Science degree in computer science, information technologies, data processing, software engineering or electrical engineering or electronic engineering (ABET accredited), or physics and 0 - 3+ years (0 - 2+ years with a Master's degree) of directly related experience.
Able to work independently, demonstrate strong initiative, and organize daily tasks with minimal supervision
Strong communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to interact with team members, various levels of management, and clients with assorted levels of computer experience
Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Committed to results and success in accomplishing goals, as well as a fast learner with demonstrated ability to quickly learn technology and understand unique system requirements
Eligible candidates must be able to acquire a U.S. Government security clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite; a current clearance is helpful, but not required). The Criteria for clearance is determined by the US Government
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
Familiarity with military technology and technical data
Demonstrated technical writing and presentation skills
Current U.S. Government Secret or higher security clearance desired (but not required)
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom