Nuclear Hardness Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Hill AFB, UT 84056, US
Engineering & Technology
BAE Systems is seeking a qualified Mechanical or Nuclear Engineer for an exciting opportunity at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, supporting sustainment efforts for the Minuteman III (MM III) Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) weapon system.
Why BAE Systems? BAE Systems is the third largest defense contractor in the world with an exceptional, mission-focused culture. The 800+ BAE Systems employees and sub-contractors located at Hill Air Force Base, Utah are closely aligned to the United States Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center. We support the Center in sustaining the MM III weapon system and acquiring its replacement, the Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD). We are a uniquely-valued mission partner delivering daily technical excellence and innovative solutions to our government customers. BAE Systems has earned accolades as a “Top Workplace” in Utah based on employee feedback for three consecutive years, earning special distinction for providing a healthy work-life balance for our valued employees. We work very hard to ensure this is a great place to work!
Why Utah? You’ve got to see it to believe it! Utah is an amazing state with diverse geography, an eclectic culture, and an exceptional quality of life. We are located north of Salt Lake City at the foot of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains. The area offers an incredible range of outdoors pursuits across the seasons including hiking, climbing, hunting, fishing, camping, boating, and world-class skiing at resorts that hosted the 2002 Winter Olympics. The state is home to five amazing National Parks and an easy drive from two more; Grand Teton and, famously, the first National Park in the world, Yellowstone. The Salt Lake City area offers a vast array of cultural activities and businesses including multiple professional sports teams. It is a western states hub for exceptional, cutting-edge medical care with people traveling from across the region for a range of nationally renowned specialty care centers and doctors. The Salt Lake International Airport is expanding and offers easy, direct access to just about anywhere you want to fly.
Why Minuteman III (MM III)? The MM III is a strategic nuclear weapon system using a ballistic missile of intercontinental range, dispersed in hardened silos to protect against attack, and connected to an underground launch control center through a system of hardened cables. Launch crews, consisting of two officers, perform around-the-clock alert in the launch center. The MM III has been deployed since the early 1970s, providing a quick-reacting, inertially-guided, highly-survivable component to America's strategic deterrent program. Over 50 years of continuous modernization programs have resulted in new versions of the missile, expanded targeting options, and improved accuracy and survivability. These enhancements serve to keep the MM III viable as fielded until the mid-2030s, when the system is scheduled to be replaced by the future GBSD ICBM now in development.
Tell me about this job. Our experts are responsible for integrated weapons system management of the MM III and its components, from inception to retirement. As a Nuclear Hardness Engineer, you will work on a high-performing team to provide engineering, technical, and administrative expertise to the MM III Systems Directorate to maintain their Nuclear Hardness and Survivability (NH&S) program. A qualified candidate will:
- Update NH&S engineering documents known as Hardness Data Manuals (HDMs) and Design Analysis Reports (DARs) to capture impacts resulting from years of Civil Engineering additions and system modifications to MM III operational sites and accurately reflect the current state of the overall NH&S of the weapon system.
- Reconcile HDM and DAR requirements, incorporating into the HDMs and DARs the updates already reflected in the technical baseline defined by engineering drawings, Engineering Orders (EOs), or other technical data.
- Research test and inspection requirements missing from drawings associated with HDM and DAR updates, provide the required revision(s), and prepare EOs to implement the changes as needed to complete the revisions.
- Establish and document a repeatable change process for HDMs and DARs.
- Clear the backlog of Configuration Management updates to ensure sustainment and acquisition programs can properly assess and comply with design and test requirements.
- Monitor for NH&S compliance with applicable Department of Defense, United States Strategic Command, and Air Force directives, manuals, and instructions.
- Review or coordinate work with other team members to ensure progress is maintained to achieve specified aims; ensure conduct and performance of assignments is conducted as required by contractual agreements.
- Attend conferences and meetings to represent assigned activity. Develop working group meeting agendas, schedule conference rooms and teleconferences, prepare and consolidate briefing materials, provide meeting minutes, and draft answers to action items assigned by other agencies or organizations.
- Perform problem solving in areas that require expertise and knowledge in nuclear hardness and related fields. Maintain knowledge in their area of specialization and a few other related fields, and awareness of developments in related fields.
- Perform engineering and technical analyses, which require a highly diversified application of engineering principles, theories, concepts and precedents. Prepare data for reports on technical findings, recommendations, accomplishments, and progress measured against specific plans.
- Evaluate plans, reports, requirements, and criteria from a technical perspective for a variety of technical activities and recommend alternatives as required.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the NH&S Lead.
Pursuant to Government contract, this position requires U.S. Citizenship status, and qualified candidates must be eligible for and successfully obtain a U.S. Government Secret security clearance.
BAE Systems is recognized as a Top Workplace in Utah for two years in a row. Join an extraordinary company culture and the winning team to success on the ICBM Integrated Support Contract this year and for years to come
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
BS in Mechanical Engineering or Nuclear Engineering from an ABET accredited university and zero to 3+ years of directly related experience (2+ years with MS degree).
Able to work independently, demonstrate strong initiative, and organize and direct daily tasks with minimal supervision
Possess strong communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to interact with team members, external vendors, various levels of management and internal clients with assorted levels of computer experience
Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Eligible candidates must be able to acquire the requisite security clearance within a reasonable amount of time upon hire
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
Familiarity with ICBM weapon systems or other military technology and technical data.
Current U.S. Government Secret or higher security clearance highly desired (but not required)
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That’s BAE Systems. That’s Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom