Navigation and Sensor Solutions Operations Director Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Coralville, IA 52241-2733, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Job Description You don’t see it, but it’s there. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics –from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F-35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you’ll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first –exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The World TM.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
The Product Line Operations Director will be responsible for leadership of the entire Operations team for the Navigation and Sensor Solutions (NSS) product line, which is a rapidly growing portfolio of current and next generation advanced military navigation systems based in the greater Cedar Rapids, Iowa area. This high visibility leader will be responsible for all aspects of strategic and tactical execution of the production environment, and will be a core member of the cross functional product line team in defining the vision of the future. This position will direct report to the Precision Strike and Sensing Solutions business area operations director.
Responsibilities of this role include:
- Leadership of a 200+ employee organization including: process and test engineering, production planning, warehouse and logistics, new product introduction, factory leadership, and touch labor operating under a collective bargaining agreement
- Ownership of total quality, delivery, and cost objectives. Meeting and exceeding product line financial objectives.
- Leading teams responsible for diverse manufacturing technologies, including: micro-electronics, micro-electronics packaging, circuit card assembly, flip chip, module assembly, test, and classified processing.
- Transitioning multiple new development programs to production at cost and on schedule, including identification and introduction of new manufacturing technologies as needed
- Future state design of a brand new state of the art production facility, including implementation of Industry 4.0, Robotics and Automation insertion, and other future technology enablers
- Leading a team responsible for moving a 24/7 production environment to a new facility, new manufacturing execution system, and new enterprise resource planning system at the same time without disruption to customers or business financials in 2022
- Supports the Product Line and Operations capital and IRAD budgeting and execution process
- Develops and implement plans to improve productivity, reduce scrap and rework costs - while driving to zero defects and 100% on time delivery.
- Implements lean and continuous improvement activities
- Establishes a work environment of openness and trust where employees are challenged, developed, and work together as a team to achieve business objectives. Drives a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture through active engagement.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- BS Technical Degree (or equivalent experience) with 12+ years’ experience with a high volume production environment
- Cross functional production leadership experience, inclusive of: new product introduction, supply chain, technical teams, factory leadership, and touch labor
- Experience leading large teams (100+ personnel)
- Technology experience with micro-electronics, flip chip, circuit card, module build and test
- Practical understanding of defense product development lifecycle
- Proven record of meeting and exceeding cost, schedule, and quality objectives
- Able to effectively work and collaborate across technical and non-technical functional disciplines (Program Office, Engineering, Quality, Supply Chain, Finance, Contracts, Communications, Human Resources)
- Experience interfacing with multiple customers to overcome complex challenges
- Background in technology roadmap development and implementation
- Ability to obtain Secret security clearance
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Lean and Six Sigma leadership experience
- Manufacturing execution system / enterprise resource planning system transition experience
- New facility standup and relocation experience
- GPS / Military Navigation Systems technology familiarity
- Defense and commercial financial cost and inventory allocation experience and underlying business system design
- Demonstrated change agent furthering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusive work environments
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom