Modeling & Simulation Sr. Systems Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Huntsville, AL 35806, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description See what you’re missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from providing the latest in missile warning solutions to autonomous smart munitions. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.”
Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us.
BAE Systems, Precision Guidance and Sensing Solutions (PGSS) Product Line within the Precision Strike (PS) Business Area is seeking Systems Engineers to develop RF Seeker Modeling and Simulation capabilities in support of next generation precision guided munitions at our new and expanding facilities in Huntsville, Alabama.
Our engineers are members of cross-functional, multi-disciplined teams focused on developing cost-effective systems that protect our Warfighters. Candidates should be comfortable working with working with small to mid-size teams and enjoy a mix of creative design work along with hands on hardware testing. Ideal candidates will have opportunity for growth by working directly with industry leading subject matter experts as well as leadership positions commensurate with their skills and professional goals.
In Huntsville, our Engineering team is working in a recently opened state of the art facility and operating in a unique environment where we have the power and resources of BAE Systems behind us while working in a dynamic and flexible model with the feel of a start-up. At BAE Systems, cultural and behavioral principles are a special part of our engineering organization, which means we are looking for team players who have demonstrated experience working successfully in group settings and will support our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Duties and Responsibilities of this 6 DOF Modeling & Simulation position may include:
- Performing mission simulation to support design trades and determine mission effectiveness
- Performing engagement simulations
- Performing modeling and simulation studies that optimize mission performance for weapon systems across the air, land, sea, and cyber domains
- Developing and applying advanced software and systems methods, theories, and research techniques in the investigation, analysis and solution of complex and advanced technical problems
- Visualization of battlespace, mission and engagement
Because of the need for consistent, in-person collaboration and/or the requirement to perform all work onsite due to the nature of this particular role, it will be performed fulltime on site. This means work will be conducted on location at a BAE Systems facility 100% of the time.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Must hold an active Secret clearance
- Experience with design and modeling of Radio Frequency (RF) systems
- Experience developing and using analysis tools such as MATLAB, Simulink, Python, VBA, C/C++, Linux, or similar tools as required
- Detailed system modeling experience utilizing fixed point math, error propagation, subsystem data (sensor data time of arrival and control outputs), friction and losses, gains and damping
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Operations Research, or Computer Science
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Digital Engineering, Model Based Systems Engineering (SysML), Model Based Agile Engineering (Value Driven Digital Threads) and Agile Mindset principle, practices & processes and tools & techniques
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- The candidate should enjoy problem solving and have the ability to produce concrete results despite significant ambiguities in the problem space
- Experience collaborating with design teams assessing threats, developing and quantifying operational level systems requirements, developing operational systems concepts, and assessing mission effectiveness in simulated environments. The analyst will perform operational analysis studies using a wide variety of DoD, existing and self-developed modeling & simulation tools
- Understanding of the Electro-Optical Infra-Red (EOIR) or Laser domains.
- Experience in any of the following is a plus:
- Aerodynamics, computational fluid dynamics, Semi-autonomous decision awareness
- Modeling using FLITES, Diamond Visionics, Common Scene Framework (CSF), Common Scene Generator (CSG)
- Experience with machine learning, image processing, and lethality modeling
- HWIL or Systems Integration Lab development or operational experience
- Embedded code experience:
- Embedded code experience with C, C++, VHDL, or Verilog
- MATLAB Coder and HDL Coder experience
- Noise and clutter models
- Full life cycle experience of algorithms to include:
- Generating math models
- Simulation, test, and improvements (i.e.: Monte Carlo analysis)
- Embedded code generation and deployment tests (processor performance)
- Software or firmware code maintenance in production
Full-Time Salary Range: $76800 - $130600
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom