Mechanical/Electrical Engineering Intern Spring 2021 Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Sterling Heights, MI 48312, US
Engineering & Technology
How does it feel to work on a team driven to make a big impact? Empowering.
We believe your career should always be growing. And that’s exactly what it will do at BAE Systems. You'll hit the ground running with a company truly committed to your growth as you enjoy a special camaraderie on a team dedicated to protecting what really matters. Build your future at BAE Systems.
As an intern you will participate in our nationwide Internship & Co-Op Program, LEAP, where you will have the opportunity to Learn, Engage, Apply, and Progress within the company. You will also have access to additional benefits such as, networking with BAE Systems Employees and other students, participating in exciting real world projects, joining exclusive informational sessions with senior leaders, and expanding mentorship opportunities and career development.
This Internship is for Winter/Spring starting in January 2021
Engineering Interns provide engineering support to one or more areas of ground & amphibious combat vehicles: Vehicle Assemblies including auxiliary subsystems, structure systems, and mobility systems. As an intern within the Mechanical / Electrical Engineering organization, you will be part of an integrated product team in the development of a vehicle platform and perform roles similar in nature to our entry level engineers.
As a LEAP Engineering Intern, you will:
- Create/Update tools such as presentations about system architecture, powertrain/cooling systems optimization, and design of current or future products
- Research Vehicle subsystems, such as structures, controllers, mounting architecture, engines, mechanical transmissions, and powertrain cooling systems to gain a general understanding of implementation in military vehicles
- Complete engineering assignments in support of design reviews, processing change requests, and requesting support services
- Gain hands on combat vehicle experience through review, installation, and/or testing
- Aid in the documentation of existing 3D models as well as loading models to the document management system using PTC Creo
- Complete work assignments in a thorough, consistent and punctual manner
- Adhere to company work hours, policies, procedures, and rules governing professional staff behavior
- Adhere to company and professional ethics governing the handling of confidential information and the observation of confidentiality
- Maintain professional relationships with company employees, clients and customers, both internal and external
- Keep management abreast of progress and pending problems
Required Education, Experience, & Skills • Currently enrolled in an accredited college/university pursuing a degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or related field.
• Experience with CAD.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with others.
• Good organizational, planning and follow up skills.
• Proficient with PC and MS Office Suite.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Completed a minimum of one year of college with a 3.0/4.0 GPA or equivalent academic record. Lower GPA considered if coupled with relevant experience.
- Experience with CAD, specifically PTC Creo or Pro/Engineer.
- Hands on experience repairing/maintaining/building mechanical systems.
- Interest in supporting the Armed Forces.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom