Material Handler Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Anniston, AL 36207-6859, US
Supply Chain & Logistics
Job Description BAE Systems in Anniston, AL is hiring for a Material Handler at their VUOC site located at 1805 Coleman Road.
- Receives instructions and work orders from Operations Supervisor.
- Handles materials and/or machinery to and from proper locations, using jib or overhead cranes or other material handling equipment, as required.Refers to appropriate documents or devices (i.e. data collection device, packing list, bill of lading, part lists and drawings).
- Issues, expedites, inventories, receives, cycle counts, stores, checks and properly identifies materials to assure continuity of operations .
- Completes and/or files documents (i.e. move tickets, shortage reports, unplanned issues). Uses personal computer or other data collection devices to check or record data as required. Performs required inventory related system transactions using company computers and/or hand held scanning devices. Responsible for the accuracy of all transactions entered, as well as, the resulting integrity of company inventory records and inventory dependent information.
- Checks and documents operating condition of material handling equipment as required. Fills powered mobile equipment with appropriate fluids (i.e. gas, water and oil) as required.
- Reports damaged tools, equipment and materials to appropriate supervisor.
- Assists in production set-up of material handling equipment.
- Refers to contracts, shipping orders, sales orders, shipping requests, inspection documents, etc., for decisions on packing requirements, markings, and shipping methods.
- Coordinates shipping document generation and distributions such as acquiring government documents by government inspection, billing bills of lading, truckers permits. Secures packing list to freight, separates, identifies and stages shipments for loading and pick-up.
- Prepares materials or parts for protection from damage (i.e. boxes, straps wraps, foam-in-place) and weighs for proper shipping documentation for commercial shipping.
- Occasionally checks in material, takes special inventories of production supplies and government property, runs errands such as delivering special shipments outside the plant using non-DoT-regulated vehicles and operates material handling equipment to move material to proper staging areas.
- Handles hazardous material, protects, mails, labels and placards the same for shipping in accordance with applicable regulations (i.e. HM181, IATA, DOT).
- Processes job packets and maintains files using personal computer or other data collection devices .
- Assists traffic personnel in determining transportation requirements, truck, trailers, containers for timely placement to load and subsequent delivery, pick up and checking loading of all shipments prior to departure.
- Keeps work area safe and clean.
Required Skills and Education
- Work requires high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must be able to work in a team-oriented environment.
- In order to reach the maximum wage rate through the progression table, an employee must demonstrate a working knowledge of the material acquisition system, Oracle.
- Must be able to safely operate material handling equipment (such as pallet jack, forklift, man-lift, picker, etc.) for moving material from outside storage areas or for unloading incoming material into other shop floor areas as needed.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom