Linux Systems Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Engineering & Technology
Dulles, VA 20171, US
Top Secret/SCI Polygraph
Top Secret/SCI Polygraph
Intelligence & Security
Clearance Level Required
Job Description As the Linux Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for maintaining up to date patching of all the office's Linux servers; interfacing with end users to administer accounts (new set ups and trouble shoot existing); working with other members of the infrastructure team to ensure minimized down time; implementing baseline changes and responding to change request; performing technical evaluations, analysis, and troubleshooting for all supported servers; building servers by providing technical configuration, setup, installation services, hardware and coordination of application projects; and operating and maintaining servers.
Typical Education & Experience Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experienceRequired Skills and Education The candidate must have an Active Intel Security clearance with a Favorable Polygraph. Candidate will not be considered without it.
- Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
- A combination of the following: Linux+, RHCE, RHCSA, LPIC- 1: Linux Administrator, LPIC- 2: Linux Engineer or LPIC- 3: Linux Enterprise Professional Certification
- The candidate must have an Active Intel Security clearance with a Favorable Polygraph. Candidate will not be considered without it.
- Ability to use verbal and written communication skills to present information to a diverse population (technical and non-technical).
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of existing server technologies including principles and methods used in obtaining maximum utilization of server technologies.
- Knowledge of multiple specialties such as operating systems, email or database platforms, storage technologies, or hardware support, including knowledge of operating systems (e.g., NT, Windows 200, UNIX, XP).
- Knowledge of customer's policies and procedures relating to the design, upgrade, operations, and maintenance of networks.
- Knowledge of Communications and Information Security policies and procedures.
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to arrange things or actions in an order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules.
- Experience with update services such as Yum (RHEL flavor) or Apt (debian flavor)
- Experience utilizing server as client
- Experience with scripting using bash scripts
- Demonstrated experience working on remote Systems via use of command line
- Demonstrated experience configuring Linux firewall/routing/networking
- Hands on experience integrating Linux servers in Active Directory (or using LDAP/Kerberose)
- Experience installing and configuring basic services including httpd/Apache, PHP, MySQL/Mariadb, mail servers
Preferred Skills and Education
- Willingness to learn Windows Systems Administration on a cross-function Agile Team.
- Ability to provide innovative solutions for routine issues and tasks.
- Working knowledge of Agile and Scrum methodologies.
- Knowledge of theory and practice underlying satellite and LAN/WAN network operations.
- Experience automating OS install processes (using kick start configuration files, preceding configuration files or similar)
- Scripting experience using Perl, Python or similar advanced scripting languages
- Willingness to learn and implement Scrum framework, Lean principles, Agile engineering and DevOps.
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That’s BAE Systems. That’s Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.Throughout your career in the military, you've been dedicated to improving security, defending freedom and making the world a safer place. Now you can continue that commitment through cyber operations, intelligence analysis, and building combat vehicles and electronic systems. We’re proud to provide solutions and services that advance the strength and security of America and our allies – and we’re honored to offer an environment where veterans and reservists can continue doing mission-centered work. In all that we do, we are guided by our company values – trusted, innovative and bold – understanding that it’s not just what we do, but how we do it that underpins our success. + The Organization
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom