Linux Application Support Specialist (Engineering SW tools support team) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Minneapolis, MN 55421-1402, US
Engineering & Technology
BAE is seeking an IT Engineering Tools Software Support to provide technical support and improvements on computer systems for Defense Industry Software Engineering computing environment. The role of the employee is to; apply technical computing standards to moderately complex problems, plan and execute subtasks of larger projects which support the Software engineering team, implement subtasks through managed processes and provide day-to-day support for the Software Engineers and their laboratories. The products created within this environment enhance the war fighting capabilities of the U.S. Military through software engineering development activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide Atlassian, server (Linux) focused support, application licensing, configuration, and resolving system issues of the Atlassian suite e.g. Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Crowd, and Collabnet Subversion Edge Subversion, etc.
2. Provide technical support in the areas of application software management, application automations, licensing, laboratory configuration, and resolving issues. Consult with senior and/or lead analysts for assistance with problem resolution requiring a higher level of technical expertise.
3. Provide or develop successful automation techniques supporting improvements in customer processes, application installation or applications usage.
4. Assists in analyzing, diagnosing, and solving technical problems of moderate scope with computer hardware and software applications, operating systems, and connectivity to develop and implement or simply make recommendations for technical solutions.
5. Analyze software applications, hardware and operating systems to develop user best practices or find proper corrective action to minimize current and future negative impact on the user community while ensuring solutions are consistent with operational standards.
6. Provides application management of assigned suite of engineering applications. Actions include, maintaining life-cycle data in management database, upgrade suite to enterprise version and integrate to company standards, react to customers and respond to application optimization efforts.
7. Assists in the design, development, installation, monitoring, and evaluation of software and systems to maintain optimum performance.
8. Provide specialized support to engineering software development labs. Demonstrate ability to implement OS and application upgrades. Trouble-shoot subsystem issues identifying component failure and resolve issues under general supervision.
9. Maintains up-to-date knowledge and a basic understanding of industry practices, trends and application products to continually enhance the computing capabilities.
10. Ability to travel up to 10% of the time as support needs dictate.
11. Ability to provide on-call or after-hours support of critical systems.
Required Skills and Education
1. A high level of general educational development normally acquired through completion of a four year program in Management of Information Systems or Computer Science.
2. To achieve and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction the applicant shall demonstrate a very high level of written and verbal communication skills.
3. Experience with Microsoft and Redhat operating systems, application installations within a networked environment and experience troubleshooting network issues.
4. Demonstrate experience providing support to customers and basic conflict resolution techniques.
Preferred Skills and Education
1. Experience with Atlassian Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Crowd, etc. and Collabnet Subversion Edge, administration and configuration.
2. Customer support experience with understanding of Service Level agreements and use of enterprise IT service management application.
3. Experience with application installations and upgrades within Client Server architecture.
4. In the future this candidate may need to receive a security clearance.
5. ITILv3 certification or understanding of ITIL concepts.
6. Familiarity with cybersecurity standards e.g. NIST 800-171.
About BAE Systems, Inc.BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. People are the greatest asset in any Company. BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom