Journeyperson Rigger Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Job Description BAE Systems in San Diego is hiring for Journeyperson-level Riggers! Riggers are responsible for lifting, moving and positioning machinery, equipment, structural parts, and other heavy loads aboard ship and in the shops.
Additional responsibilities Include:
- Shipboard rigging to include removal of the machinery and equipment on and off the ship and through narrow openings utilizing jacks, chain falls, come-a-longs and rollers.
- Shipboard machinery and equipment to include but not limited to: pumps, valves, motors, electronic equipment, shafting, etc...
- May work at heights in access of 100’.
- Riggers are also responsible for selecting rigging gear based on weight and distribution of load, availability of hoisting machinery, and the presence of obstacles which might interfere with maneuverability of incorrectly rigged hoisting gear.
- Signal workers operating cranes or other equipment to move load.
- Individuals will also be required to inspect rigging gear in accordance with safety rules and OSHA standards.
- Will perform additional related tasks as assigned by Supervisor, some of which may become essential to the position.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Qualified rigger; possesses a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing, or has extensive knowledge, training, and experience, and can successfully demonstrate the ability to solve problems related to rigging loads.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, volume, weights of structures, equipment and materials of various shapes and sizes.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Qualified Signalperson; knows and understands the type of signals used at the worksite, is competent in using these signals and understands the operations and limitations of the equipment, including the crane dynamics involved in swinging, raising, lowering and stopping loads and in boom deflection from hoisting loads.
- Knows and understands the relevant signal person qualification requirements specified in subpart CC (1926.1419-1926.1422; 1926.1428).
- Ability to pass a practical test.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom